LX266 Mower smells like gas?

/ LX266 Mower smells like gas? #1  

MossflowerWoods

Tractor
Kioti DK50SE HST w/FEL, Gravely 60" ZTR Mower. Stihl MS290 (selling), CS261, & FS190 + Echo CS400 & 2010 F-350 6.4 PSD snowplow truck
Folks,

It is time for me ot do the 250 hour service on my JD LX266 mower and I've got a question. Every morning & evening I come out and fire it up to haul a small trailer with feed and hay up to the horses. Last week or two there is a distinct gasoline smell.

I cannot find any leaks, everything looks good under the hood. The smell seem strongest at the rear by the tank.

Is there a vent I need to clean/check or??? Just curious.

Thanks in advance.
David

/ LX266 Mower smells like gas? #2  
I had same problem this fall. Happened to be a cracked fuel tank. Small amount would leak out but not enough to drip on the floor. Also check loose fuel line connection.

Good Luck,
JD3X

/ LX266 Mower smells like gas?
I had same problem this fall. Happened to be a cracked fuel tank. Small amount would leak out but not enough to drip on the floor. Also check loose fuel line connection.

Good Luck,
JD3X

JD3X,

I hope it is ont a cracked fuel tank!!!!:eek:

How did you determine that without removing the tank?

Thanks,
David

/ LX266 Mower smells like gas? #4  
JD3X,

I hope it is ont a cracked fuel tank!!!!:eek:

How did you determine that without removing the tank?

Thanks,
David

I suggest, first fill the gas tank. Then check visually for any gas residue on the tank, or feel the tank if you can reach around underneath or along the sides. Check the frame for any evidence of leaking fuel. If all looks good, the only other place fuel could be leaking is from a gas line.

Another thought, if this unit has a carburetor, maybe the carb float is stuck open, letting fuel leak in the carb area.

Hope this helps,
JD3X

/ LX266 Mower smells like gas? #5  
It could be the grommet that seals the fuel pickup tube into the tank. I would recommend picking one up from JD before removing the fender assembly to check it. That way, when it breaks from trying to remove the fuel pickup, you will have it ready to install.

/ LX266 Mower smells like gas? #6  
I hope that this guy has at least a 5# aBC fire extinguisher in the garage. Last thing he needs is a lawn tractor on fire INSIDE the shed.

SC

OK, number one, the mower sits outside under an aluminum awning type thing, not worried about fire risk at this stage.

Number two, I think I'm MUCH closer to figuring this out (I'm kinda slow at times).

I've benn checking out the suggestions made and it does NOT seem to be coming from the rear where the fuel tank is. I think it is a very slow seeping and the enclosed picture shows the "wet spot"... I had suspected this spot, so I wiped it and it came back over time.

Now I cannot seem to figure out WHERE it is seeping from yet...

Also, it seems to have developed a sharp left veer when I let go of the wheel...

Any ideas on either?

Thanks in advance,
David

Attachments

• 2012-12-06 08.14.53.jpg
    2012-12-06 08.14.53.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 670
   / LX266 Mower smells like gas? #8  
I would not suspect a wet spot from gas, unless it is actively leaking. (It evaporates too quickly) I see fuel hoses, and the apparent carburetor float bowl, but they appear to be dry. Check your engine oil for any fuel contamination, or if it is becoming overfilled. That would indicate a leaky fuel pump. (If it is a mechanical pump, driven by the camshaft.) Mechanical pumps can leak into the engine oil, and also leak out the vent hole. (On the pump)

/ LX266 Mower smells like gas? #9  
try spraying a little talcum powder (like foot spray powder) in the area you suspect and see if it shows any traces of liquid.

ba

Mower died this am. Made it up the hill with small trailer of hay & feed, and sputtered once and died, just like the seat nanny hits when my too small daughter tries to drive it... would not start... fuel filter? It is due for a service...