when buying used from a dealer - negotiate

/ when buying used from a dealer - negotiate #1  

Hooligan

Tractor
none yet
When buying used from a dealer, how much should I assume I can negotiate off the price they are asking? What I'm looking at is a small jd. No snow equipment, so it's not like it's peak season. If it's listed at say $6K, is offering $5K out of question?

/ when buying used from a dealer - negotiate #2  
Hooligan said:
When buying used from a dealer, how much should I assume I can negotiate off the price they are asking? What I'm looking at is a small jd. No snow equipment, so it's not like it's peak season. If it's listed at say $6K, is offering $5K out of question?

10% is good, but i seen even deeper discounts.

/ when buying used from a dealer - negotiate #3  
Lowball them. You can always come up but you can't go lower. Remember, these are the guys who are gonna rape you on parts, and they'll smile while they're doing it.

/ when buying used from a dealer - negotiate #4  
Learn how long it's sat on the lot. The longer the lower. They are generally looking for a net 25% margin on trade ins so there is room especially if its sat there longer. Don't be in a hurry to agree to a number unless that's what you think it's worth.

/ when buying used from a dealer - negotiate
Ended up a little better than 20% off. Posting this so others have it as a reference point. Maybe I was lucky. Maybe I could have done better. I feel like I got a solid deal and I have the impression that he feels as though he moved a machine at a tough time.

/ when buying used from a dealer - negotiate #6  
I made an offer to a dealer of $5000.00 for a used tractor with an asking price of $6,400.00. This was in August of that year. This dealer turned me down. In October of this same year the same dealer called me back and said I could have this same tractor for my original $5,000.00 offer. It was too late. I had already bought another tractor.