Question About Draining Fluid From My X300 Transmission

/ Question About Draining Fluid From My X300 Transmission #1  

coollx

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520
Since the K46 transmission has a history of failure, over the winter, I'm planning to change the transmission fluid in my X300.

My tractor has about 30 hours on it and I can tell that after mowing for 45-60 minutes its ground speed slows down a bit. It works fine now but based on what I've read in this forum it makes sense to change out the factory transmission fluid and replace it with the recommended synthetic.

I plan to remove the transmission from the tractor, remove the fill plug then turn it upside down on jack stands and let the factory fluid drain out.

Does anyone know for sure whether doing this will drain ALL fluid from the transmission?

Thank you

/ Question About Draining Fluid From My X300 Transmission
165 people read this thread and no one knows the answer?

Someone must have drained the fluid from their X300 series tractor and can offer some input.

/ Question About Draining Fluid From My X300 Transmission #3  
There is a complete thread with pics on this trans.

/ Question About Draining Fluid From My X300 Transmission #4  
From what I've heard, you cannot completely drain the trans without splitting it. I'm not sure about the K46 but for the K58, there is a kit that you can install consisting of 2 drain plugs (you have to split the trans, drill 2 holes in specified locations, tap the case for threads, then put in the plugs). It sounds more complicated than it really is since when you split the case it means removing the bottom cover while everything stays in place in the transmission. You might want to read up on it here: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=179552&highlight=drain+plug+install

There is a great bunch on this forum:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

/ Question About Draining Fluid From My X300 Transmission #6  
Since the K46 transmission has a history of failure, over the winter, I'm planning to change the transmission fluid in my X300.

My tractor has about 30 hours on it and I can tell that after mowing for 45-60 minutes its ground speed slows down a bit. It works fine now but based on what I've read in this forum it makes sense to change out the factory transmission fluid and replace it with the recommended synthetic.

I plan to remove the transmission from the tractor, remove the fill plug then turn it upside down on jack stands and let the factory fluid drain out.

Does anyone know for sure whether doing this will drain ALL fluid from the transmission?

Thank you

From my experience, draining and replacing the fluid in a K46, be it an L130 or X300, will not likely result in any long term benefit. Those that have told me they have done so have said it basically is a waste of time. If the K46 is beginning to fail, you really have only three choices: Replace, Overhaul or Upgrade. With the first two options you can reasonably expect to get about the same service as before. Others may have different results.
/roger - RJR Tractor LLC