X360 just wont start

/ X360 just wont start #1  

Taco Terror

Tractor
John Deere 2210
I have a Deere X360 that is exactly 2 years old, and it will not start. I pulled it out of the basement today after its been sitting for a while, it started fine. I pulled around front and put the idle down, it started missing and just killed itself. It has done this many times before, but it usually starts after a bit.
I have pulled the plugs which were covered with blackened fuel, looking at the piston through the plug holes it is also a wet black look. I cleaned the plugs and tried to start it again, gas just started blowing right out of the muffler and made a puddle after cranking it. I am really fed up with this crap. It pisses me off that a $5000 mower that's still basically new does this. Any help?
Also it has the Kawasaki engine in it, but this carb just sucks.

/ X360 just wont start #2  
Did you put it away with fuel in the carb?? Try spraying carb cleaner into the holes on the air intake.

/ X360 just wont start #3  
Hello Taco Terror
I surmise with the gas just blowing out of the spark plug holes that you have a stuck float or Trash in your Carburetor. If it were me, I would Take the Carburetor off the engine and strip it down for a good cleaning. Make sure the float height is right and that the Needle & seat are Not damaged. This Ethanol they are putting in Pump fuel has been raising **** with small engine Carburetor's. I run Lucas Ethanol Gas Treatment in all of my small engines and they start quicker, run stronger and I do not have any Carburetor issues while using it. I have seen this Ethanol Eat away the inside of Rubber fuel line's so badly that it leaves the float bowl full of black gooey sticky Gunk. Take that carburetor off, take your time cleaning it, and change out your fuel filter and I bet your issues will be resolved...If you find any Black goey stuff inside your Carburetor be sure to replace all of the fuel lines as they are disinegrating from the Ethanol in the gas... I hope this Helps, Hammerdown

/ X360 just wont start #4  
Taco,
I can understand your frustration, but it sounds as if the needle valve in the carb got stuck. Think of it as something getting stuck in the valve of your toilet and it running constantly. It's just gonna pump water in there like mad. Same thing happens with your fuel bowl. Fuel goes in and runs out through an overflow. Because it's not a good idea to pour flammable liquids on top of an engine, they let it overflow into the engine. That'll cause the "flooded" condition that you are talking about.

Pulling the carb apart, cleaning up the needle and seat on the float valve and you should have your problem solved. It's nothing major. It is from storing it with older fuel in it. It happens to the best of us. A storage agent like Sta-bil can help or just starting it up about once a month for 15 minutes or so can prevent it.

/ X360 just wont start #5  
It would seem that a good fuel additive is a must in todays fuels. My dealer informed me that about 80% of the problems they see are fuel related.Fuel in tank or stored fuel should not sit for more th a couple of weeks with a good fuel additive. I wonder if the type of rubbers being used in small engine o-ring seals are not compatiable with fuels used in todays cars?

/ X360 just wont start
Thanks guys I finally got it running. When it does this though it will run alright at full throttle, but lowering it to idle it will start to die, raising engine speed from that will just roll out black smoke.

I'll have to do something with the carb, I just despise working on carburetors. I also agree about the fuel thing so I put in some treatment, possibly start buying the ethanol free mid grade from BP.

/ X360 just wont start #7  
I believe your carb is still dirty. It needs to be disassembled for a thorough cleaning. I use torch tip cleaners to clean out all of the small passages and jets.your low throttle running issues, sounds like a clogged pilot jet to me.small piano wire works good too, to clean those tiny passages.

G'luck
Ron