Front PTO install on a JD X595

/ Front PTO install on a JD X595 #1  

Carl Bert

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, John deere X595
Instructions say to drain front and rear axles. Why would i drain the rear axle? I can only assume they mean (even though they dont state it) to do that for a full time 4WD tractor like the x748.

The other question I have is, it doesn't say to pack the bearings with grease, so does that mean they are lubricated by the front axle oil? It does say to lightly grease the seal lip though. Not exactly sure what they mean by "lightly grease".

Any help would be appreciated.

/ Front PTO install on a JD X595
Wow, thanks for all the help guys. This forum just keeps getting better and better.

/ Front PTO install on a JD X595 #3  
In my opinion, "lightly greasing" the seal lip consists of a dab of grease on your finger to wet the seal in a similar manner one "lightly oils" the seal on an oil filter before installing it.

I don't know anything about the X595 to comment on the rest of your questions.

/ Front PTO install on a JD X595 #4  
I am not sure what you are asking. When I put a snowblower on my X495 it used a bearing at the front and was powered by the mid PTO. Are you adding a second PTO on the front?

/ Front PTO install on a JD X595 #5  
Wow, thanks for all the help guys. This forum just keeps getting better and better.

With a attitude like that you are lucky to get any response.

/ Front PTO install on a JD X595 #6  
"New York !!" get a rope. I think I will have some picante sauce with lunch today.

/ Front PTO install on a JD X595
With a attitude like that you are lucky to get any response.

As they say, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". Why don't you give that a try?

/ Front PTO install on a JD X595 #9  
I am not sure what you are asking. When I put a snowblower on my X495 it used a bearing at the front and was powered by the mid PTO. Are you adding a second PTO on the front?
mfreund they are only talking about 4wd models, which use a different way to carry the shaft thru the front axle than
a 2wd model like your X495. They actually use the front axle housing to carry a stub shaft and bearings for the front PTO kit.

/ Front PTO install on a JD X595 #10  
the older part time 4wd system did not require any transmission fluid to be lost installing the
front stub shaft, maybe a bit of gear oil in from the front axle.
later full time 4wd models drive the front axle and front wheels with the same
hydraulic fluid as the transmission, so there is a different procedure to top off
the fluids during the stub shaft install. i think there are even bleeders at each wheel
that need to be removed during the refill process.