need a little help-------jd mower gt245

/ need a little help-------jd mower gt245 #1  

jimbo64

Silver Member
have a jd gt245 riding tractor-20 hp -twin cyl kawasaki------problem is -it starts fine but when the mower is engaged it wants to stall the tractor- pulled mower deck, all okay and free there, put in new sparkplugs and gas filter per manual-no help-any suggestions would be appreciated-----thanks:mad:

/ need a little help-------jd mower gt245 #2  
I am not sure of how the clutch for the deck on yours is engaged but, I have seen on the older Deere's(318,316 etc) when the clutch was engaged it killed the tractor and it turned out to be a bad battery. The draw caused the motor to die. Replaced the battery and was fine. Any place that sells batteries will load test it for free. Hope it helps..

/ need a little help-------jd mower gt245 #3  
Check the battery and the charging system. The electric PTO takes a lot of amperage to operate. I had the opposite problem with mine - the PTO would not stay engaged. I had to get a new voltage regulator for the charging system + a new battery as the battery was not being charged (the bad voltage regulator), and the battery could not provide enough power to activate the PTO clutch (the bad battery).

As stated by previous posters, a battery that cannot deliver the amperage can cause the tractor to stall as the it will not supply the PTO and the spark plug. That's why I suggest checking the entire battery / charging system - make sure the whole electrical system is working.

/ need a little help-------jd mower gt245 #4  
Are you engaging the deck at idle, 1/2 or full throttle? I assume you're not engaging the deck in the uncut grass to be mowed, which would add another load for the engine to overcome.

On my L-130, if I engage the deck at idle, it usually stalls the engine; so I set the throttle at 1/2 before flipping the PTO switch on. The problem with these electric PTO's is that they are on or off; there is no feathering them like a manual PTO lever.

/ need a little help-------jd mower gt245
battery starts tractor fine and easily but i can pull and have load tested-mjncad- i've tried engaging it at all speeds-same thing-------thanks guys-keep thinking.

/ need a little help-------jd mower gt245 #6  
Well so much for my idea. :confused2:

I'll be curious as to what the mystery cause of the problem turns out to be.

/ need a little help-------jd mower gt245 #7  
The clutch coil in the PTO may be going bad. When working properly, they require only around 3 amp's to stay engaged. The coil can start to short out, but still works. A higher current draw can easily overwhelm the low amperage charging system on these tractors. It may cause the voltage to drop too low for the ignition modules to work properly. (But not kill the battery)

If there is no mechanical drag from the mower deck, and the tractor has good power to move itself, or tow. Then it may be time for a new PTO assy. Try engaging the PTO with the belt (to the deck) removed. If there is no change in the engine speed, the problem is mechanical. (Excessive drag) If it does slow, or stall. It is the PTO.

/ need a little help-------jd mower gt245 #8  
   / need a little help-------jd mower gt245
Well so much for my idea. :confused2:

I'll be curious as to what the mystery cause of the problem turns out to be.

not sure where we'll finally end up but had a pair of gator blades on-took them off and replaced them with standard jd blades-gator blades are much heavier then normal blades-------doesn't stall mower now but still slowes it down when they are engaged-------------