John Deere X749 hydraulic control valve

/ John Deere X749 hydraulic control valve #1  

raybaker

Tractor
John Deere X749
I can not get the hydraulic control valve to go into the float (detent) position without putting a lot of force on the lower float lever. The valve and lever work fine if you just want to raise or lower the blade. I feel if I push the lever any harder to put it in the detent/float position I am going to break something. This tractor is kept in a heated garage so I know there is nothing frozen. I am not sure if I have a bad valve or the linkage is binding. Any help would be appreciated. Ray

/ John Deere X749 hydraulic control valve #2  
I can not get the hydraulic control valve to go into the float (detent) position without putting a lot of force on the lower float lever. The valve and lever work fine if you just want to raise or lower the blade. I feel if I push the lever any harder to put it in the detent/float position I am going to break something. This tractor is kept in a heated garage so I know there is nothing frozen. I am not sure if I have a bad valve or the linkage is binding. Any help would be appreciated. Ray

The little detent balls may need cleaning and lubing. If you look at the valve body, you will notice one of the end caps is bigger. That's where the balls and springs are. Just remove it, clean and lube everything, and you should be good to go.

/ John Deere X749 hydraulic control valve
I have the service manual disc and it shows 2 caps on the same end, opposite of where the levers attach. One is the UP/DOWN SPOOL ASSY CAP and is the smaller one on the lower part of the valve end and the other is the UP/DOWN FLOAT SPOOL ASSY CAP, above the small cover, which shows the 2 balls and 2 springs coming out of the sides of the cap. Question: When I take that cap off (held on with 2 screws) I assume the balls are going to fall out in my hand and not go flying or should I take the balls and springs out first? I also assume that I will have to put the cap on first and then install the balls and springs last? Is my thinking correct? I sure hope this takes care of my problem because my dealer is 50 miles away and is busy and we have lots of snow here in northern MI!

/ John Deere X749 hydraulic control valve #4  
should I take the balls and springs out first? I also assume that I will have to put the cap on first and then install the balls and springs last? Is my thinking correct? !

Yes, it is very easy.

Your solution solved my problem--I think! When I started to take the cover off I noticed it came off after removing only 1 screw. I had already broke one of the ears off the cap by forcing the lever. I cleaned it all up and greased everthing and reassembled it with 1 screw and it is holding but thought I better order another cap from JD. I about dew-dewd my underware when I got the price which was $59, yes I said $59!!! As you know, this cap is made out of pot metal and isn't over 1" high and 11/2" wide at the tabs. I ordered it but sure wasn't very happy. The next time the lever get at all stiff I will quit and lube the balls,etc. Again, thanks for all the help. By the way, $59 dollars is better than taking it to the dealer.

/ John Deere X749 hydraulic control valve #6  
The little detent balls may need cleaning and lubing. If you look at the valve body, you will notice one of the end caps is bigger. That's where the balls and springs are. Just remove it, clean and lube everything, and you should be good to go.

I need to clean mine and plan on doing it tomorrow. When you say lube, what type of lube should I use?

Thanks,
Curt.

Any good auto grease is fine. I used Vavoline. Make sure when you put it all back together that the lever is moved all the way forward (float position). Install the cap first and then install the ball, springs and spring caps last. I let mine go to far and broke the cap and it cost me $60.00 for a new cap. Like the guy said that helped me, it is an easy job. Ray in northern Michigan. Let me know if I can be of further help.

/ John Deere X749 hydraulic control valve #8  
I have broke 2 detent caps now. The original was hard to operate so i disabled and cleaned it. Worked for a time then broke. The new one worked for a time then broke during a big snow storm. I think I may of net been getting enough lube on it. The part only comes in a kit AM132338 and is priced at $93 OUCH! even the parts guy at the dealer couldn't believe the price. It does come with instructions and a small tube of loctite. View attachment 454386

Last edited:
   / John Deere X749 hydraulic control valve #9  
Pic didn't post. Edit your post and below you will see the "Go Advanced" button, which will expand the page to include "Manage Attachments" where you can browse for your pic and upload it. Then it should post for you.