Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Location
    Luzerne, MI
    Tractor
    John Deere X749

    Default John Deere X749 hydraulic control valve

    I can not get the hydraulic control valve to go into the float (detent) position without putting a lot of force on the lower float lever. The valve and lever work fine if you just want to raise or lower the blade. I feel if I push the lever any harder to put it in the detent/float position I am going to break something. This tractor is kept in a heated garage so I know there is nothing frozen. I am not sure if I have a bad valve or the linkage is binding. Any help would be appreciated. Ray

  2. #2
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    722
    Location
    Southeast Minnesota
    Tractor
    JD 4720, JD X748SE, JD 997, Farmall "B"

    Default Re: John Deere X749 hydraulic control valve

    Quote Originally Posted by raybaker View Post
    I can not get the hydraulic control valve to go into the float (detent) position without putting a lot of force on the lower float lever. The valve and lever work fine if you just want to raise or lower the blade. I feel if I push the lever any harder to put it in the detent/float position I am going to break something. This tractor is kept in a heated garage so I know there is nothing frozen. I am not sure if I have a bad valve or the linkage is binding. Any help would be appreciated. Ray
    The little detent balls may need cleaning and lubing. If you look at the valve body, you will notice one of the end caps is bigger. That's where the balls and springs are. Just remove it, clean and lube everything, and you should be good to go.

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Location
    Luzerne, MI
    Tractor
    John Deere X749

    Default Re: John Deere X749 hydraulic control valve

    I have the service manual disc and it shows 2 caps on the same end, opposite of where the levers attach. One is the UP/DOWN SPOOL ASSY CAP and is the smaller one on the lower part of the valve end and the other is the UP/DOWN FLOAT SPOOL ASSY CAP, above the small cover, which shows the 2 balls and 2 springs coming out of the sides of the cap. Question: When I take that cap off (held on with 2 screws) I assume the balls are going to fall out in my hand and not go flying or should I take the balls and springs out first? I also assume that I will have to put the cap on first and then install the balls and springs last? Is my thinking correct? I sure hope this takes care of my problem because my dealer is 50 miles away and is busy and we have lots of snow here in northern MI!

  4. #4
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    722
    Location
    Southeast Minnesota
    Tractor
    JD 4720, JD X748SE, JD 997, Farmall "B"

    Default Re: John Deere X749 hydraulic control valve

    Quote Originally Posted by raybaker View Post
    should I take the balls and springs out first? I also assume that I will have to put the cap on first and then install the balls and springs last? Is my thinking correct? !
    Yes, it is very easy.

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Location
    Luzerne, MI
    Tractor
    John Deere X749

    Default Re: John Deere X749 hydraulic control valve

    Your solution solved my problem--I think! When I started to take the cover off I noticed it came off after removing only 1 screw. I had already broke one of the ears off the cap by forcing the lever. I cleaned it all up and greased everthing and reassembled it with 1 screw and it is holding but thought I better order another cap from JD. I about dew-dewd my underware when I got the price which was $59, yes I said $59!!! As you know, this cap is made out of pot metal and isn't over 1" high and 11/2" wide at the tabs. I ordered it but sure wasn't very happy. The next time the lever get at all stiff I will quit and lube the balls,etc. Again, thanks for all the help. By the way, $59 dollars is better than taking it to the dealer.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    49
    Location
    New York / Vermont Border
    Tractor
    John Deere X595

    Default Re: John Deere X749 hydraulic control valve

    Quote Originally Posted by arlen4720 View Post
    The little detent balls may need cleaning and lubing. If you look at the valve body, you will notice one of the end caps is bigger. That's where the balls and springs are. Just remove it, clean and lube everything, and you should be good to go.
    I need to clean mine and plan on doing it tomorrow. When you say lube, what type of lube should I use?

    Thanks,
    Curt.

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Location
    Luzerne, MI
    Tractor
    John Deere X749

    Default Re: John Deere X749 hydraulic control valve

    Any good auto grease is fine. I used Vavoline. Make sure when you put it all back together that the lever is moved all the way forward (float position). Install the cap first and then install the ball, springs and spring caps last. I let mine go to far and broke the cap and it cost me $60.00 for a new cap. Like the guy said that helped me, it is an easy job. Ray in northern Michigan. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Similar Threads

  1. john deere x749 / 45 loader relief valve shim
    By grassmann in forum John Deere Lawn & Garden
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-14-2012, 03:27 PM
  2. Thoughts on John Deere X749
    By Dude Man in forum John Deere Lawn & Garden
    Replies: 171
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 07:10 AM
  3. Buying Advice Cab for John Deere X749
    By Gmjdx749 in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 01:16 AM
  4. Zero Turn or John Deere X749
    By FRIZ in forum John Deere Lawn & Garden
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-23-2008, 09:52 PM
  5. John Deere selective control valve question
    By Anonymous Poster in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2002, 10:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2013 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.