JD 130 - "Loose" gas tank

/ JD 130 - "Loose" gas tank #1  

J F

Elite Member
Tractor
ShovelandBarrow
Hey all,

I've got a JD 130, still brand new (just under 8 hours). Yesterday while mowing/vacuuming leaves, I ran out of gas...as the the piece of $%#@ fuel gauge still read "full". I noticed the gauge was kind of "stuck" and I could move it anywhere and it would stay there.

Next step...start putting in some gas. That's when I noticed the tank was moving around...very easily. I'm guessing something came loose, and the tank position effects the gauge (piece of #$$!).

I haven't started digging around as I've got a bum elbow, so thought I would ask the forum before I called the dealer.

Thanks.

/ JD 130 - "Loose" gas tank #2  
If it isn't an easy fix for you then use your warranty.

/ JD 130 - "Loose" gas tank #3  
I'm not sure about your 130, but my cheap LA145 model has a tank that just sits on rub strips and has nothing to tie it down or keep it from moving around. The tank has some plastic tabs that put tension on it to help you get it in place when you install it, but as soon as you fill the tank with fuel, those tabs aren't strong enough to move the tank. The weight of fuel anchors the tank and the operator platform keeps it secure from the top. Of course, my cheap model doesn't have a gage, so I really don't know is slight movement could have an effect. My tank cracked and I ordered a replacement. When I went to install the new tank, I discovered that all I had to to do is remove the old feed hose and just lift the tank out. My old tank didn't break because of that. It looked like a crack caused by UV light exposure, not from rubbing or flexing.

Here's a link to photos of my tank install.

/ JD 130 - "Loose" gas tank #4  
On the current units the tank does move in relation to the level of fuel in the tank so it is not mounted solid like the previous machines. If it's not losing fuel then probably a pretty easy fix.

/ JD 130 - "Loose" gas tank
Thanks for the replies guys, and of course I'll call the dealer if I can't get to it easily enough (if it's even a problem). I don't think the tank was moving around during the first 2-3 fill ups (and the pos gauge worked). I had a LA125 previous to this mower, and the tank didn't move around at all that I ever noticed.

Just got a cortisone shot in the elbow yesterday, so maybe I'll feel like screwing around with it in a few days before I bother the JD dealer.

Again, I appreciate the input.