JD L110 Lawn Tractor - Hydrostatic Drive Problem

/ JD L110 Lawn Tractor - Hydrostatic Drive Problem #1  

Jant

Tractor
JD L110
My JD L110 Ride on mower won't go forward or back. Was mowing at the time and it just stopped moving. Only done 361 hours since new. Have checked belts, pulleys, keys on drive shaft. Pulled hydrostatic drive apart, found 1 pressure cylinder (with five buttons and springs) had two brokens springs, the other pressure cylinder had one broken spring. Replaced all springs. No wear on any cogs, no crap on magnets. Put it all back together with new oil but still no movement. Any clues?

/ JD L110 Lawn Tractor - Hydrostatic Drive Problem #3  
I have a problem with JD140. Reverse is great! Forward is NOT! Looked at your post and although extremely informative, looks horrifying to me. Guess I will sell it and get what I can get out of it. What a pain it's not an easy fix!

/ JD L110 Lawn Tractor - Hydrostatic Drive Problem #4  
Sometimes changing the oil in the trans works wonders. I did one of mine two years ago it is still better than new I did have to add more oil even after I did the air bleed. Pain to remove and add the oil but worth it.

/ JD L110 Lawn Tractor - Hydrostatic Drive Problem #5  
Did that! Didn't help. I was told about a release valve for hydr-trans to push it forward but don't know where that is. Would you happen to know where it is?

/ JD L110 Lawn Tractor - Hydrostatic Drive Problem #6  
the release lever is a rod sticking out the back of the tractor above the hitch. It needs to be pulled out, the rear of the mower raised off the ground, and then start the mower and move the lever, or pedals from forward to back to bleed the air out of the transmission pump components. then push the rod back in and see what happens.

when you had the tranny apart and replacing the springs, what did the center section look like(part the the pump and motor run on). The reject wear limit on the center section is, if you can catch a fingernail on grooves between the elongated holes, it is too damaged to use. when the springs break in the pump or the motor sections, pieces of the springs tend to grind grooves in the center section leading to what you are seeing.

The center section needs to be a machined flat surface between the oil inlet/outlet holes. If there is any grooving between the holes, it has to be replaced, along with the pump, and the motor, because the base of the pump and motor will also be damaged, and will destroy a new center sections within seconds.

As a Hydrogear warranty service center, I see center sections damaged quite frequently, due to people using there mowers for pulling loads too heavy, water infiltrating the transmissions due to pressure washing, and then freezing the water in the winter, breaking the pump springs, or in some cases people trying to change directions too quickly, causing what is called shock loading. the Hydrogear tranny operates at around 2200 psi, and quick directions changes in trannys without shock valves, will raise the pump off of the center sections, which drops the pressure, and then the pump slams down on the center sections, scoring the mating surface.

/ JD L110 Lawn Tractor - Hydrostatic Drive Problem #7  
I don't have the 110. I have the 140. You sure know alot about hydros. Why don't you come down to Florida and fix it for me?Ha Ha Ha!! I'm too chicken to tear into it that far.

/ JD L110 Lawn Tractor - Hydrostatic Drive Problem #8  
I don't have the 110. I have the 140. You sure know alot about hydros. Why don't you come down to Florida and fix it for me?Ha Ha Ha!! I'm too chicken to tear into it that far.

No guts no glory!

/ JD L110 Lawn Tractor - Hydrostatic Drive Problem #9  
What kind of oil do you put in when change the oil or if you have to add to it.

/ JD L110 Lawn Tractor - Hydrostatic Drive Problem #10  
What kind of oil do you put in when you change oil or have add some oil