JD 110 random spark

/ JD 110 random spark #1  

oldnslo

Tractor
Branson 2400H, JD X540
Hi all,
I have a JD 110 with a Kohler K181 magneto style ignition engine that provides a random spark. Strong then weak then none. Only strong for couple of revolutions. Engine may cough once and that is all. Spark is observed by grounding the plug to the head.
Things I have checked or tried.
New spark plug.
I have checked point gap and they are clean and not burnt or corroded. NOTE: Do not see any sparking across the points either.
Tried a different condensor.
Have removed the flywheel and inspected key to see if it was partially sheered.
The magnets in the flywheel seem tight and are free of rust.
Looked for cracks in the ignition coil and see none.
Removed the kill wire that goes to the key switch from condensor - points circuit. Thought maybe it was randomly shorting out.

I am down to suspecting the ignition coil assembly that is part of the alternator stator assembly is bad but don't want to spend $100 + on a guess if there is some thing else I may have missed.

Any ideas?

TIA

Roy

/ JD 110 random spark #2  
Mag to flywheel gap.

/ JD 110 random spark
Mag to flywheel gap.

Good thought but I don't believe the gap is adjustable on this model. The magnets and magneto coil are both inside the flywheel. I did not see any way to adjust the gap or even measure the gap. Is there a way?

/ JD 110 random spark #4  
Know I don't have any Info on this model but I remembered the 10,20, 30 rule 10 was flywheel gap 20 was point gap? 30 was spark gap.

/ JD 110 random spark #5  
Try replacing the points maybe the rubbing block is worn down so point gap not fully opening

/ JD 110 random spark #6  
Have you got another ign . switch you can try ? It has to be a switch for an internal coil . External coil uses a different switch . Make sure the pushrod for the points is not hung up . Points need to be .020 gap . There is no adjustment on flywheel gap .

/ JD 110 random spark
Kevin,
I removed the wire going to the switch so shouldn't that take the switch out of the equation. Does this style of magneto ignition require power from the battery? I don't think so but I also could easily be wrong.

Points are opening and closing. Can't guaranty there are opening the full .020 everytime but they look like they are.

/ JD 110 random spark #8  
Roy I found an old intertec repair manual that covers K181. What about the engine timing? Non running engine can be static timed it says

/ JD 110 random spark #9  
I see you tried different condensor , was it a new one ? That condensor has to be properly grounded also , by the bolt that mounts it . It is a pain in the ***** to change that condensor and set points on those tractors with all the sh// in the way . The .020 gap on points is you're timing . Make sure condensor is new and grounded . Is tractor new to you ? Yes the battery is for cranking it over , it should spark or run without it .And you are correct on the kill wire . If nothing else go to Weekend Freedom Machines . com . Go to forums , go to gear drive tractors and post your question . If you can get Roger Henning to respond ,you will have your answers .

/ JD 110 random spark
I see you tried different condensor , was it a new one ? That condensor has to be properly grounded also , by the bolt that mounts it . It is a pain in the ***** to change that condensor and set points on those tractors with all the sh// in the way . The .020 gap on points is you're timing . Make sure condensor is new and grounded . Is tractor new to you ? Yes the battery is for cranking it over , it should spark or run without it .And you are correct on the kill wire . If nothing else go to Weekend Freedom Machines . com . Go to forums , go to gear drive tractors and post your question . If you can get Roger Henning to respond ,you will have your answers .

Kevin,
Yes, Deere did not make accessing the points and condesors a simple task on these models. Condensor was new and according to my VOM it has a good ground connection.

Tractor belongs to a friend of mine that thought he was having governor problems causing the engine to run erractic. Since he brought it over to me I can't even get it to start.

On this model of magneto coil is there any way to test to coil windings?