john deere 212 cant get clutch to disengage. HELP PLEASE!

/ john deere 212 cant get clutch to disengage. HELP PLEASE! #1  

thisishim52

Tractor
john deere 212
I have a john deere 212 lawn tractor, I just replaced the primary and secondary drive belts. now I cant get the clutch to open up and let me shift into gear. I have adjusted the variator according to the service manual and it still isnt working. I have checked the variator to make sure it it sliding correctly and it is. the springs look good. the belts are routed correctly. I am at a complete loss. I really dont want to take it to a dealership but that will be my next step if no one can help me. any ideas?

/ john deere 212 cant get clutch to disengage. HELP PLEASE! #2  
Welcome to the forum:welcome:

While I am not familiar enough to help you with the clutch setup on your 212 there are a lot of members here who are. Give them a few days to respond. There are some guys here who have rebuilt/restored a large number of these mowers and this should be easy for them to answer.

/ john deere 212 cant get clutch to disengage. HELP PLEASE!
awesome! thank you, I dont know if its the clutch that needs to be rebuilt or if something just needs to be replaced because it ran before I changed the belts

/ john deere 212 cant get clutch to disengage. HELP PLEASE! #4  
With tractor running and in neutral can you open the hood and watch the variator while trying to push in the clutch. I see two potential problems.
Their is some form of mechanical interference stopping the variator from moving.

The variator center sheeve is tipping and binding not allowing the belts to drop down. My 112 has this same problem when the engine is not running. Once started the clutch works just fine.

I have found that setting the variator to the slowest speed before shutting the tractor off makes the clutch work better at start-up.

Good luck.

ya i just did that and it all looks really good, nothing binding. the variator looks like it is working like a champ but Im wondering if I need a new idler pulley spring.

/ john deere 212 cant get clutch to disengage. HELP PLEASE! #6  
Is the clutch pedal moving up and down properly and the tranny is not stopping so you can shift?

the clutch pedal is moving up and down properly, but I have the shroud off of the gear shift area, and you can see the idler pulley lift up but it doesnt stop spinning.

/ john deere 212 cant get clutch to disengage. HELP PLEASE! #8  
I would look at the belt from the engine to variator. Since the belt from the variator to the transaxle is spring loaded I believe the engine drive belt should disengage from the variator. Been so long since I had to work I mine I can't remember if there any guides to help or keep the front belt from staying in contact with variator.

I looked at my 112 and on the engine there are two studs/posts to keep the belt in the pulley and none by the variator. On mine with the engine off the engine to variator gets loose and the variator stops turning. The belt to the transaxle stays snug due to the spring loaded idler.

Don't know if this would make any difference but I have of the 112's with the electric clutch for the mower deck.

Last edited:
and fixed!!! thanks to everyone for your help! turns out that two engine mounting bolts had come out who knows how long ago. put them back in and it lined everything up perfect!

/ john deere 212 cant get clutch to disengage. HELP PLEASE! #10  
Did the isolation mounts break or the bolts fall out? Had to replace the Isolation mounts on mine once or twice from the ears braking off.

Glad you got it working again.