common practice or not ; what do you think ?

/ common practice or not ; what do you think ? #1  

tractortime2012

Tractor
JD x360
Just purchased a new x360 at a John Deere dealer in November of 2012. I paid new 2012 sticker price for this at $5200.00. This tractor was on the show room floor with all the rest of the new looking tractors. After getting the unit home , I recorded the tractors serial number for warrantee reasons. For some reason, I looked up the serial number on the internet and saw that it was actually a 2011 model year production not a 2012. I thought I was getting a new 2012 year tractor. So, it would appear that this tractor has been sitting on their lot of a year or so. I spoke with the selling dealer about this and they stated that buying a tractor is not like buying a car , and that it was very common for a dealer to have a tractor on their lot for a extended period of time. He also stated that JD dealers ( unlike car dealers ) do not have a place to sell unsolded tractors. They stated that The tractor had zero hours on it and is still identical to the 2012 tractors, so they considered it a new tractor. I can see their point but , I asked about paying the 2011 price ( not the 2012 price ) on this tractor since it was a 2011 model year. That was a big NO on their part. I could not wait and order a 2012 tractor because I needed it right away. Don't get me wrong , I am happy with my tractor but it disturbs me about the discloser on what model year I was actually buying. What do you think about this practice, and have you ever heard of this before ?

/ common practice or not ; what do you think ? #2  
Yes common practice as they do not have model years like a car. Its a machine like say a Lathe or mill.

/ common practice or not ; what do you think ? #3  
Think a reputable dealer would have disclosed model production year. And charging 2012 price for 2011 model is like your paying a storage fee for something you did not own while it was being stored. IMHO:stirthepot:

/ common practice or not ; what do you think ?
I agree davcog, but also see what murphy1244 is saying.

/ common practice or not ; what do you think ? #5  
   / common practice or not ; what do you think ? #6  
In my opinion they didn't tell you it was a 2011 vs, a 2012 for a reason. I would also be upset. May have still bought the tractor, but would have appreciated being told the whole truth in advance. Good luck.

MoKelly

/ common practice or not ; what do you think ? #7  
In Kubota the same model is out for several years so they just sell by the model number and hours. If he did not advertise that the tractor was built in 2012 I'd be OK with getting a 2011 model advertised as new IF this was not a year when the models changed.

Ok murph, now I am confused on what you are saying. I do know this much. John Deere has info. on the web showing you all curent date tractor starting and ending serial numbers for most model years. For example x360 serial numbers 15001 to 180001 is for 2010 production date and 180001 to 220001 is for 2012 production date so on and so forth. If I understand you right, are you saying that the JD dealers just do not sell ( what they would call a new tractor ) BASED on the tractors model year or serial number production year? oh and thanks for replying.

yes txdon , because this was not a year that the design had changed I elected to keep the tractor. Just wish they would have told me this info. without me finding out about it on my own. Seems like this is the way it is with all products you but today. Buyers must be pro active with getting their own information .

/ common practice or not ; what do you think ? #10  
yes txdon , because this was not a year that the design had changed I elected to keep the tractor. Just wish they would have told me this info. without me finding out about it on my own. Seems like this is the way it is with all products you but today. Buyers must be pro active with getting their own information .

No offense intended, but I think there's just a misunderstanding here about how the product is sold. You were sold a "new" tractor, which you assumed meant it was a current-year-production, as if it was a car. The dealer sold you a "new" tractor, which he meant it had zero hours (or whatever) on it. The dealer's understanding is correct as for how tractors are sold. The pricing changes from time to time, but that's just a reflection of the market. It's not like a car where different model years will have different MSRP. You paid 2012 pricing because you purchased in 2012, not because your tractor was made in 2012.

Anyway, don't stress over it and enjoy your tractor! And don't hold a grudge against your dealer--I don't think he did you wrong here.