JD 18 steel cart

/ JD 18 steel cart #1  

JDTank

Platinum Member
If anyone has one of these carts, could you please post pictures of how the tailgate works, and a picture of the body in the dumping position.

I want to see exactly what these things do before I pull the plug on one, and there is little to no information available online.

Thank you!

/ JD 18 steel cart #2  
If anyone has one of these carts, could you please post pictures of how the tailgate works, and a picture of the body in the dumping position.

I want to see exactly what these things do before I pull the plug on one, and there is little to no information available online.

Thank you!

I have one, But I might not be able to get any closeup pictures for a while. It's a nice wagon. I have a new tailgate ordered... My wife ran over it and smashed it all up. You can look on JD parts and at least see the drawings there.

/ JD 18 steel cart
I have one, But I might not be able to get any closeup pictures for a while. It's a nice wagon. I have a new tailgate ordered... My wife ran over it and smashed it all up. You can look on JD parts and at least see the drawings there.

If you can get photos I would appreciate that.

Ran over the tailgate?! I won't even ask. :shocked:

/ JD 18 steel cart #4  
If you can get photos I would appreciate that.

Ran over the tailgate?! I won't even ask. :shocked:

Hopefully these show you the basics.

Attachments

• 0219131622a.jpg
    0219131622a.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 2,028
  • 0219131622b.jpg
    0219131622b.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 341
  • 0219131622d.jpg
    0219131622d.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 476
  • 0219131624a.jpg
    0219131624a.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 479
  • 0219131623b.jpg
    0219131623b.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 334
   / JD 18 steel cart
Thanks, those are exactly what I needed!

My #18 cart is on order at my dealership, should be here in a few weeks.

/ JD 18 steel cart #6  
i have a #10 cart that is 22+ years old. pretty beat up and proud of it. has done a lot of work for me.

you may be a little leery of this, but i cut off the front couple inches of the tongue and bolted on a ball hitch. having a ball on the tractor lets me pull around another utility trailer i have without switching back and forth. since you have the receiver on the new X740, you can get the correct drop on the draw bar to keep the cart level.

do you needs pics of it?

ba

/ JD 18 steel cart
i have a #10 cart that is 22+ years old. pretty beat up and proud of it. has done a lot of work for me.

you may be a little leery of this, but i cut off the front couple inches of the tongue and bolted on a ball hitch. having a ball on the tractor lets me pull around another utility trailer i have without switching back and forth. since you have the receiver on the new X740, you can get the correct drop on the draw bar to keep the cart level.

do you needs pics of it?

ba

Actually I am going to go with 2 different carts, but I just might take your idea and use it.

I want the #18 cart because of the tailgate design. It will empty completely without having to shovel it out like the Poly carts. However, if your throwing in logs or big rocks, it will dent this thing up in no time. I ordered the #18 for loose light material, and a 17AT (all terrain) version of the 17 poly cart. I plan to use that for big rocks or throwing in heavy items. I opted for the All Terrain version over the normal 17P because it has a much higher ground clearance with the bigger tires, therefore the bed will go higher and it should empty itself out or close to it. It also has fenders, and high speed bearings in the wheels.

The 17AT is a ball hitch setup, so I agree it would save me a lot of time if I convert the #18 to a ball setup too.

If you have pictures I would appreciate some!

/ JD 18 steel cart #8  
how much does an 18 cart cost? I got mine "thrown In" when I bought my X748 6 years ago. I throw rock and logs into mine all the time, life's too short to worry about denting the thing.:)

/ JD 18 steel cart #9  
If you have pictures I would appreciate some!

as you can see, this is one tool i have not babied. it has hauled a lot of rock, dirt, logs and concrete. they don't stay new for very long.

anyway, i cut off a couple inches on the front of the tongue and bolted on the hitch. i also painted the tongue and under-carriage yellow. the copper pipe spacers are to prevent the tongue from deforming while i tightened the through bolts. the body may be beat up, but the moving parts get frequent service and have never failed me. the tires are original.

IMG_1465.jpgIMG_1466.jpgIMG_1467.jpgIMG_1468.jpgIMG_1469.jpg

ba

/ JD 18 steel cart
The #18 cart is about $400 here in Canada. I tried to get mine thrown into the deal with my X740, but I already rang the Salesman so dry on the tractor sale, he kept insisting there is "nothing left in it for him" He was kind of miserable before I left, I know what these machines go for up here, and I think I landed my X740 for close to dealer cost, so he didn't make much money! He didn't even know about the $1,000 rebate on the X700 series until I told him, once he tacked that additional savings on, you could almost see him cry! :cool2:

Thanks for the pics glgeek. I think the tongue on the newer #18 carts is a bit different, so I am not sure I can do this mod to it. However, my cousin is a welder and works in a fabrication shop, I think I may get him to build me an entirely new tongue for this trailer, as it is the weak point of these carts.