new to me. jd 425

/ new to me. jd 425 #1  

BlackRaptor

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
Like the title says I got a 425 with low hours. Pretty excited this was my dream mower growing up. The seat though is all busted up and it seems like every 425 I've seen has a split seat. do most people just replace the whole seat guessing there isn't much saving it? also whats a good wax to get years and years of oxidation off the hood and fenders.
Thanks.

/ new to me. jd 425 #2  
I own a 425. My seat split at 17 years, 1000 hours. I plan to just buy a new seat this year, if I don't sell it to get a new X739 :)

Can't help on the wax. My paint is still bright. Though, I don't think it's seen more than about 2 washings in the 18+ years I've owned it. I never leave it out in the sun, though. . Sounds like yours was left out in the sun. JD paint jobs are the best I've ever seen: Thick and hard. So, you should be able to bring it back to life.

/ new to me. jd 425 #3  
Like the title says I got a 425 with low hours. Pretty excited this was my dream mower growing up. The seat though is all busted up and it seems like every 425 I've seen has a split seat. do most people just replace the whole seat guessing there isn't much saving it? also whats a good wax to get years and years of oxidation off the hood and fenders.
Thanks.

You can usually find a new seat at a decent price on eBay. As far as the oxidation, depending on how bad it is, a good cleaner wax will do a good job on the metal surfaces. If its really bad then maybe you want to start off with a polishing compound. The plastic hoods are another story. I don't know if you can ever get the original luster back . NOVUS makes a plastic refinishing wax. It's a 3 step process. I've used it to remove some scratches on my JD hood and it worked pretty good. I never tried it on a hood as you described, but it can't hurt.

By the way, that's a beautiful 3320.

/ new to me. jd 425
Thank you guys. Ill look around on ebay maybe ill try to find a seat from a x700 series. Wonder if they newer seats will bolt up. If not I have drill bits haha

Thanks! 3320 is my dream toy it gets washed more than my car haha.

/ new to me. jd 425 #5  
For the 425 there are two different seats. Older models below a certain serno used a low back seat. After that they had a high back seat. I think the hole pattern is different so they are not interchangeable. It would be wise to stick with one that matches. It's not as simple as drilling new holes.

/ new to me. jd 425
Thanks for the info I didnt realize there was a lot more to that bracket.

/ new to me. jd 425
I have to laugh i'm picking the 425 up today and of course we're in a full on blizzard snow storm. whole winter has been dry just lots of ice the ONE day i pick to get the mower it storms haha

/ new to me. jd 425 #8  
You might want to try the seat first before you replace it. I found that my 425 seat made my back ache. I replaced mine with a suspension seat from a 455. No more back ache. The suspension seats off the newer tractors look even nicer but of course they are even more expensive. But if you think about what you would pay not to have an aching back half the year it starts to look like a better deal.

Chris

/ new to me. jd 425 #9  
I have to laugh i'm picking the 425 up today and of course we're in a full on blizzard snow storm. whole winter has been dry just lots of ice the ONE day i pick to get the mower it storms haha
I think that's called "Murphy's Law". Drive carefully and be Safe.

/ new to me. jd 425
Thanks! All is well and the 425 is home. And holy cow this mower is built like a brick talk about heavy duty construction .

Its in the shop now thawing out so I can get all the snirt off it and get it cleans.

Now its a 97 with 605 hours . Dealer said 1000 hours change the hydro fluid. I'm wondering if I should just change it now. Anyone know how many gal it holds?
If it only holds lets say 2 gals that's cheap piece of mind.