Fuel can filter for diesel?

/ Fuel can filter for diesel? #1  

JDTank

Platinum Member
When John Deere dropped off my X740, the delivery guy told me to get a marine diesel can, because they have a filter in them? I have never heard of this before, and I am wondering if anyone knows what he is talking about?

He said it keeps the fuel a lot cleaner before it enters your tank. I was just planning on getting a regular plastic yellow diesel can, and according to him, pieces of plastic get into your fuel tank. I don't buy it, but thought I would check here. The fuel filter on the engine would be more than capable of catching that anyways.

/ Fuel can filter for diesel? #2  
I agree the filter on the tractor will cover you. Two 5 gallon cans would be plenty of fuel on hand imo. I bought two of the yellow cans from TSC and just threw them out after only two years. Both were cracking badly at the top.

/ Fuel can filter for diesel?
I agree the filter on the tractor will cover you. Two 5 gallon cans would be plenty of fuel on hand imo. I bought two of the yellow cans from TSC and just threw them out after only two years. Both were cracking badly at the top.

How fast will algae or fuel bugs grow in stored fuel? The JD guy also suggested always keeping the tank full if possible, to prevent moisture from collecting in the top of the fuel tank. I already knew this but I wonder if it makes much of a difference?

/ Fuel can filter for diesel? #4  
Have a look at the Mr. Funnel or the Racor rebranded version. They will prevent just about everything, including water, from getting into your tank.

/ Fuel can filter for diesel? #5  
You should always buy your fuel from stations that sell a lot of diesel, fresh usually uncontaminated fuel. Keep the tank as full as possible [ just like a gas vehicle ]. If you store diesel in 5 gallon cans, keep them full and put something like Power Service in them before you fill them up. If you do these things you should never need to filter the fuel in the first place, and keeps you from having to drain water out of your onboard fuel/water separator.

/ Fuel can filter for diesel? #6  
We now have storage tanks with fuel filters on them but for years used the yellow plastic containers without filters. As recommended use fuel from someone who sells a lot. We have not regularly used Power Service or an algaecide, but it is used by many so you might want to.

/ Fuel can filter for diesel? #7  
No-Spill cans are the best can that I have ever used. Add a funnel with a screen and you should be set.

/ Fuel can filter for diesel? #8  
When I bought my first Kubota in 1972 it came with a removable brass screen in the fuel tank opening. Several tractors that we used on the farm had similar screens.

/ Fuel can filter for diesel?
No-Spill cans are the best can that I have ever used. Add a funnel with a screen and you should be set.

Are they that good?

I read somewhere that a common problem with them is the seal leaking around the threaded nozzle ring whenever you have the button pushed and fuel is coming out.

I can't those fuel cans anywhere in Canada, so I would have to get it sent to my post office at the border and go pick it up.

/ Fuel can filter for diesel? #10  
Don't know about a can filter, but these www.nospill.com cans come highly recommended by others on the site. I haven't tried them yet, but are said to work very well for the new govt regs for fuel cans. I do have some experience with some real bad designs re the new regs. I use treatment in my stored fuel.