Picked up a X495 and a X740

/ Picked up a X495 and a X740 #21  
Finally finished them both and posted the x740 for sale. I took the x495 to the dealer and they said there was nothing wrong with it and charged my $50 for an oil change/filter when I just changed both. Occasionally it doesn't want to start when cold. I couldn't get the deck to come on for the x495 and I finally figured out that the neutral RIO switch was bad when I bypassed it. This was after I replaced the temp relay and ignition control board following the troubleshooting procedures in the tech manual. They both run great and don't need a rebuild. I put a steering wheel spinner knob and Oregon Gator Fusion blades for the one I am keeping. I want to get a 3pt hitch to mount a trailer ball on and I am not sure what to get. Included the after pics below.
View attachment 317273View attachment 317275View attachment 317276

Total to repair both including $800 for tires is $3400. I didn't have to mess with the tranny/hydro/engines other than to adjust valve clearance on the X495. Leveling the deck was a pain on the 495 and I never could get the front to back to difference to 6mm. I had fun doing the work with the exception of the electrical and deck leveling.

Good job!

Working on these machines is actually quite enjoyable I find. The X700 series is in a class all it's own for enjoyment of ownership!

Which machine are you keeping and why? I think I would have given the dealership heck for charging you for an oil change you did not ask for. Since you had just done it, I bet they charged you for it but didn't change anything at all. Just another reason why I do all my own work. My machine is brand new so I still have warranty for almost 4 years, but I hope after that nothing major goes wrong. JD parts are not cheap!!

/ Picked up a X495 and a X740 #22  
Very good and informative thread nice to see that everything worked out for you on this venture. I suspect you traded some elbow grease for a nice mower. I do think I would have kept the new tires for the x495 as age and dry rot are more of an issue than tread wear on most mowers. I doubt you will get anything extra for new tires on the x740 as most people will want the hdap tires now. At any rate you did good.

/ Picked up a X495 and a X740
I saw a JD 400 sitting along the road for sale by my house. I talked him down from $2200 to $1500 and bought it. Mostly original and the engine has been rebuilt 500 hours ago. No smoke and everything works. Hopefully I didn't overpay. I plan to pull it apart, clean it, paint the green parts touch up the black paint where it needs it. I may just keep it.
20150901_190431.jpg
20150901_190441.jpg
20150901_190423.jpg

/ Picked up a X495 and a X740 #24  
I guess you must have kept the x740 and sold the x495, how did you come out on the project? The 400 looks to be in good shape too, overall you can wind up with two nice mowers for cheap.

In todays world some used equipment and good judgment as to the correct repairs to be made can save a bundle. Glad that you did not listen to early posts to part those mowers out. A little time spent on the 400 and it should look great.