Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    976
    Location
    Central WI

    Default X700 series mower deck interchange

    There has been a lot of speculation as to whether the decks for the new 2013 x7's will fit the prior models or not. It is reasonable to assume that they will since the wheelbase has not changed, but it would sure be nice to know for sure. Mounting attach points could mess with the swapping would be my concern.

    Also worth noting that just because they are styled like the 7 iron does not mean that they are dimensionally exact.

    To me, the 9 ga should still be plenty tough. I mean the deck on my 96 era 455 is still plenty solid condition, it just does not cut to my satisfaction due to volume design.
    JD3720 300CX FEL, 48" forks, MX-5, RB1172, BB1172 air seat susp
    JD 455 2 wheel steer
    JD x750-Auto Connect w/60" HC deck

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Dutch445's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    2,148
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Tractor
    JD X585

    Default Re: X700 series mower deck interchange

    From what i'm seeing, the new decks are high capacity decks, with a deeper profile. they have increased
    room under the tractor to accomodate the new decks. It looks like old decks will come forward, but new decks
    may not fit old style tractors due to clearance underneath, although it doesn't say for sure yet.

    From our sales info:

    Equipment compatibility

    Most equipment and attachments used on X700 Ultimate Tractors may also be used on X700 Signature Series, with the following exceptions:

    The 45 Loader is not compatible and is discontinued. No loader is available for Signature Series.
    An upstop kit, BM24370, is required to install the 48X Mower Deck or prior year 54X, 62X, or 60-in. 7-Iron™ Mower Decks.
    A new hard cab and weather enclosure is required for Signature Series Tractors. The soft cab is discontinued and is not available for the Signature Series.
    A new front brush guard, BM24375, is required for Signature Series Tractors.
    New front fender kits are required for Signature Series Tractors.
    BM24429 front fender kit for X710, X730, and X750
    BM24430 front fender kit for X738, X739, and X758
    BM24425 auxiliary alternator kit is required for X710, X730, X734, X738, and X739.
    BM24363 9-weight front weight bracket is required for Signature Series Tractors.
    JD X585 with 45 loader, 3ph, 62C deck, 47SB, 54 blade, Soft Cab. JD F620 with 60". JD 4X2 gator. JD T23 trimmer
    JD CS56 and CS36 saws. JS35 WB mower.

  3. #3
    Platinum Member JDTank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    690

    Default Re: X700 series mower deck interchange

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch445 View Post
    From what i'm seeing, the new decks are high capacity decks, with a deeper profile. they have increased
    room under the tractor to accomodate the new decks. It looks like old decks will come forward, but new decks
    may not fit old style tractors due to clearance underneath, although it doesn't say for sure yet.

    From our sales info:

    Equipment compatibility

    Most equipment and attachments used on X700 Ultimate Tractors may also be used on X700 Signature Series, with the following exceptions:

    The 45 Loader is not compatible and is discontinued. No loader is available for Signature Series.
    An upstop kit, BM24370, is required to install the 48X Mower Deck or prior year 54X, 62X, or 60-in. 7-Iron Mower Decks.
    A new hard cab and weather enclosure is required for Signature Series Tractors. The soft cab is discontinued and is not available for the Signature Series.
    A new front brush guard, BM24375, is required for Signature Series Tractors.
    New front fender kits are required for Signature Series Tractors.
    BM24429 front fender kit for X710, X730, and X750
    BM24430 front fender kit for X738, X739, and X758
    BM24425 auxiliary alternator kit is required for X710, X730, X734, X738, and X739.
    BM24363 9-weight front weight bracket is required for Signature Series Tractors.
    It is no deeper of a profile than the current 60 inch 7 Iron deck. Why would they increase room under the tractor, when the 7 iron deck already fits 2008 to 2012 models? That right there negates any purpose for changing the underside of the machine itself. I am not saying John Deere didn't change anything, but since we know the 7 Iron already fits, and it's bigger than any other deck out there, why would you change what works?

    This is just a guess, but I am assuming JD moved the rear axle back on the frame, and the front axle forward on the frame. This would give the illusion of more space under the machine, even though the wheelbase is the same as the previous generation.

    What I am particularly curious about is why JD needs new front fender kits. This obviously means they changed the axle design for both the 2WD and 4WD models. Or, maybe it is just because of the new decks. I would be shocked if JD changed the axle setup on these machines, it's been nothing but reliable since day 1.
    2012 John Deere X740
    #18 Steel cart.
    Front fender kit.
    Brush guard.
    SE seat.

  4. #4
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    976
    Location
    Central WI

    Default Re: X700 series mower deck interchange

    I did talk to a dealer today who was part of the design/feedback team and was told that the new frame is actually heavier.

    I hope to get to see one in person soon.

    FWIW moving the axles would change the wheelbase.
    JD3720 300CX FEL, 48" forks, MX-5, RB1172, BB1172 air seat susp
    JD 455 2 wheel steer
    JD x750-Auto Connect w/60" HC deck

  5. #5
    Platinum Member JDTank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    690

    Default Re: X700 series mower deck interchange

    Quote Originally Posted by KennedyDiesel View Post
    I did talk to a dealer today who was part of the design/feedback team and was told that the new frame is actually heavier.

    I hope to get to see one in person soon.

    FWIW moving the axles would change the wheelbase.
    My bad, what I meant was the overall length of the machine.

    I will be surprised if the frame is heavier, given JD has very strict requirements they have to meet in order to avoid putting a ROPS on in 2014. The requirements are such that the only choice was to lose some weight, not gain any.

    So much conflicting information it is maddening! I can't wait until someone buys one and puts up photos. I live in Canada and we get everything later, so we won't see any 2013's for another 6 to 8 weeks yet.
    2012 John Deere X740
    #18 Steel cart.
    Front fender kit.
    Brush guard.
    SE seat.

  6. #6
    Elite Member Gittyup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,851
    Location
    Mid Atlantic
    Tractor
    Kioti CK25 Shuttle Shift, loaded tires, JD X739

    Default Re: X700 series mower deck interchange

    Keep in mind that the 7 iron deck is incompatible with AWS. These new decks all work with AWS. AWS has a lower ground clearance. This too could be a factor. AWS, the deep deck with drive over feature are probably what necessitate the spreading of the wheels. While I haven't driven one, I like the idea of the front wheels out in front of the tractor (I think).

  7. #7
    Platinum Member JDTank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    690

    Default Re: X700 series mower deck interchange

    Quote Originally Posted by Gittyup View Post
    Keep in mind that the 7 iron deck is incompatible with AWS. These new decks all work with AWS. AWS has a lower ground clearance. This too could be a factor. AWS, the deep deck with drive over feature are probably what necessitate the spreading of the wheels. While I haven't driven one, I like the idea of the front wheels out in front of the tractor (I think).
    The front wheels are already far out front on the 2008 to 2012 models, I can't imagine them being any further forward.
    2012 John Deere X740
    #18 Steel cart.
    Front fender kit.
    Brush guard.
    SE seat.

  8. #8
    Member RonS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    40
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Tractor
    JD 2520 & X740

    Default Re: X700 series mower deck interchange

    Quote Originally Posted by KennedyDiesel View Post
    I did talk to a dealer today who was part of the design/feedback team and was told that the new frame is actually heavier.

    I hope to get to see one in person soon.

    FWIW moving the axles would change the wheelbase.
    This just keeps getting more confusing. My dealer confirmed to me that the new 700 series is about 100 lbs lighter. But having said that there are other things that don't seem to add up.

    Eg.

    1) Some folks have suggesated that the frame is thicker on the new models (even Deere references at least an area that is thicker) so the new 700 frame should be heavier
    2) The motor is bigger (that is a fact) so that should add some weight to the new 700. When we went from the 1.1 to the .9 wasn't there a loss of weight of about 65lbs?
    3) The transmission is the same

    So from this we see that with the new 700, two of the three heaviest components contribute more weight than its predeccessor and yet it is supposed to be 100lbs lighter.

    Anybody else confused?
    Last edited by RonS; 02-26-2013 at 12:03 PM.
    JD 2520; 53" FEL; SS1067B Spreader; BB2060 Box Blade; 54" Front Mount Blower; iMatch; Ken's Grab Hooks; Front and Back Lighting Kit; Artillian Forks; Artillian Worklight Horse Blinders; Artillian Caster Carts; BX42 Chipper; X7XX seat and suspension

    X740; 60" Mower; Brush guard; Brinley dethatcher; 920 lb Ohio Steel roller; aerator; JD suitcase weights; 25 gallon JD sprayer, Brinley 17P cart; Quik-tatch; custom hazard lights

  9. #9
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    976
    Location
    Central WI

    Default Re: X700 series mower deck interchange

    With a heavier frame and potentially more welding than bolts less fasteners are needs and less supporting structure is needed. Displacement of the engine does not necessarily affect weight depending on if the engine family changes or not. Of the engine is same and a larger bore is used then you trade cast iron for aluminum.


    Can anybody confirm with absolute certainty that the 60" 7 iron deck will fit the new models at least with 2ws?

    I'm thinking I'll put Ma/Brother into a 740 7 iron (WAY overkill) and I'll have a look at the 750 and consider it. It would sure be nice to see what these "all new models" really did different. My dealer says he has one but no deck on it yet. I hope to get by to have a look, but he's 40 miles away.
    JD3720 300CX FEL, 48" forks, MX-5, RB1172, BB1172 air seat susp
    JD 455 2 wheel steer
    JD x750-Auto Connect w/60" HC deck

  10. #10
    Member RonS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    40
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Tractor
    JD 2520 & X740

    Default Re: X700 series mower deck interchange

    Quote Originally Posted by KennedyDiesel View Post
    With a heavier frame and potentially more welding than bolts less fasteners are needs and less supporting structure is needed. Displacement of the engine does not necessarily affect weight depending on if the engine family changes or not. Of the engine is same and a larger bore is used then you trade cast iron for aluminum.


    Can anybody confirm with absolute certainty that the 60" 7 iron deck will fit the new models at least with 2ws?

    I'm thinking I'll put Ma/Brother into a 740 7 iron (WAY overkill) and I'll have a look at the 750 and consider it. It would sure be nice to see what these "all new models" really did different. My dealer says he has one but no deck on it yet. I hope to get by to have a look, but he's 40 miles away.
    Maybe but John Deere's literature states that the old model had a "fully welded frame".

    WRT to the 60" 7iron, Deeres literature says that it will work with a kit.
    JD 2520; 53" FEL; SS1067B Spreader; BB2060 Box Blade; 54" Front Mount Blower; iMatch; Ken's Grab Hooks; Front and Back Lighting Kit; Artillian Forks; Artillian Worklight Horse Blinders; Artillian Caster Carts; BX42 Chipper; X7XX seat and suspension

    X740; 60" Mower; Brush guard; Brinley dethatcher; 920 lb Ohio Steel roller; aerator; JD suitcase weights; 25 gallon JD sprayer, Brinley 17P cart; Quik-tatch; custom hazard lights

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New X700 series.
    By JDTank in forum John Deere Lawn & Garden
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-31-2012, 10:40 AM
  2. X700 Series w/7-Iron Mower
    By Retired Iron Peddler in forum John Deere Lawn & Garden
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-28-2012, 08:53 PM
  3. 60" mower deck for 4000 series JD
    By kesterl in forum Private Party Ads
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2012, 03:40 PM
  4. X700 series
    By zlock24 in forum John Deere Lawn & Garden
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 01-16-2012, 09:18 PM
  5. F525 deck interchange old style to new
    By dangrs158 in forum John Deere Lawn & Garden
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 09:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.