Buying x740 versus new x750 what am I missing out on?

/ Buying x740 versus new x750 what am I missing out on? #1  

KennedyDiesel

Veteran Member
So I'm looking at a 2 machine purchase. A 740-7 iron for Ma/Brother and maybe same for me, but I may try the 750-60HC

750 has larger engine but more emissions constraints-this is a push

750 looks to have gone back to screened intakes like the old 455's had. This is a plus

750 looks to have gone back to the color coded controls (PTO and park brake etc) this is a plus

750 looks to have a better seat this is a plus, but should be easy enough to change over.

750 has painted finish to aid in repairing deep scrathces Plus, but not that big a deal

740 has a larger fuel tank capacity. This is a plus, BUT not really nedcessary as the darn things run 1-2hr per gallon

From there it looks like the same general features with a little different styling. Same lighting just different lenses etc. Am I missing anything?

I am hoping to get up and see a 730 in person today.

Ma's/Brother's will be the 740 due to cost. It's already 10x overkill for what they need, but now they will have bomb proof machine replacing Ace 14.5/42 tinkertoy. I've considered a good used machine, but the new warranty will be very nice.

/ Buying x740 versus new x750 what am I missing out on? #2  
So I'm looking at a 2 machine purchase. A 740-7 iron for Ma/Brother and maybe same for me, but I may try the 750-60HC

750 has larger engine but more emissions constraints-this is a push

750 looks to have gone back to screened intakes like the old 455's had. This is a plus

750 looks to have gone back to the color coded controls (PTO and park brake etc) this is a plus

750 looks to have a better seat this is a plus, but should be easy enough to change over.

750 has painted finish to aid in repairing deep scrathces Plus, but not that big a deal

740 has a larger fuel tank capacity. This is a plus, BUT not really nedcessary as the darn things run 1-2hr per gallon

From there it looks like the same general features with a little different styling. Same lighting just different lenses etc. Am I missing anything?

I am hoping to get up and see a 730 in person today.

Ma's/Brother's will be the 740 due to cost. It's already 10x overkill for what they need, but now they will have bomb proof machine replacing Ace 14.5/42 tinkertoy. I've considered a good used machine, but the new warranty will be very nice.

I would go with the X740 and 7-iron deck. The cost of the X740 and $1,000.00 rebate overshadows the new features of the X750 in my opinion. The X750 and X740 engine are both 24HP and on the X750 engine, you are only getting is a little large displacement that will give you a little more torque than the X740. To be honest, the diesels are already overkill for the 60" mower decks, so you will not notice the difference between the engines.

/ Buying x740 versus new x750 what am I missing out on? #3  
There are a few other small differences. As far as difference in the diesel engine size goes, I don't think anyone would really be able to discern the difference between the two under actual field conditions. The deals on the 2012s are really hard to pass up. Definitely a better value price wise, but then again if someone wants the latest and has the bucks...............well,

/ Buying x740 versus new x750 what am I missing out on? #4  
There are a few other small differences. but then again if someone wants the latest and has the bucks...............well,

Sometimes the differences are government regulations and are not in your best interest. The $1000 off, heavier built deck and proven build quality means the 2012 is a better machine. For a person operating on slopes having the extra weight on the mower deck should help lower the COG. I guess it is all in the eyes of the beholder.

/ Buying x740 versus new x750 what am I missing out on? #5  
   / Buying x740 versus new x750 what am I missing out on? #6  
In my opinion, the 2012 is the smarter choice.

Since I just bought a 2012 X740, you could say I am biased, and to a small degree you would be right.

It's a design that's been around for years, it's proven to be rock solid and reliable. The normal run of a vehicle/machine design is about 5 years. Usually as the model years progress, reliability and quality increase. Obviously the first year is usually the worst, with reliability, fitment and engineering issues showing there ugly faces. The last model year is the time when all of the kinks have been worked out, the best fitting methods figured out, and tooling in the factories is tuned to a science from years of learning on previous model year machines.

The X740 has less emissions equipment on the Yanmar engine, more weight to it, a larger fuel tank, just to name a few pro's for the 2012 models. Throw in the $1,000 rebate, plus grinding the salesman with the "stale inventory" approach, and you could walk away with an amazing deal. When it was all said and done with the rebate, I had about $1,700 taken off the price of my X740. I also had a bunch of accessories thrown in for free because they were itching to make room in their warehouse for 2013 models.

I couldn't sleep at night before I bought my X740 because I was worried they were all gone. Each and every day I am happy I went with the proven X740, and the drop dead awesome price I landed is the icing on the cake. I will be riding around on my X740 with a low monthly payment, while the 2013 buyers will be getting raked over the coals for a lesser machine.

/ Buying x740 versus new x750 what am I missing out on? #7  
I agree the X740 would be a better deal, but for me it's the auto-connect deck that is selling me on the 2013 models. The ability to drop the deck and drive over it in under a minute, means a lot to me. I may pick up one this year or possibly, if I can hold out long enough, wait until next year to give them time to work some of the bugs out.

/ Buying x740 versus new x750 what am I missing out on? #8  
I agree the X740 would be a better deal, but for me it's the auto-connect deck that is selling me on the 2013 models. The ability to drop the deck and drive over it in under a minute, means a lot to me. I may pick up one this year or possibly, if I can hold out long enough, wait until next year to give them time to work some of the bugs out.

I agree the prior models are a little irritating to remove/replace, not crazy about the setup on my x749 pto shaft connection. I am thinking about getting a 2720 to add to the group and them leaving the x749 as a dedicated mower and collection setup. The mower would then be the back up or spare for the 2720 in case of failures or shop time.

/ Buying x740 versus new x750 what am I missing out on? #9  
I agree the prior models are a little irritating to remove/replace, not crazy about the setup on my x749 pto shaft connection. I am thinking about getting a 2720 to add to the group and them leaving the x749 as a dedicated mower and collection setup. The mower would then be the back up or spare for the 2720 in case of failures or shop time.

I honestly find removing the deck on my X740 really easy and quick. However, I am coming from using a Craftsman machine which involved 7 cotter pins that had to be removed. The only way to do so was to lay down on the ground and use pliers. Also, you can't get to all of them from one side, so you end up getting up again only to lay down on the other side.

I love that the gauge wheels turn. I simply pick up one end of my mower deck like a wheelbarrow and push it to where I want to store it.

At first I was wondering if I was going to regret getting the 54 inch deck over the 62, but now I am very glad I opted for the 54 inch. It's 50 pounds lighter than the 62 inch, has a substantially better cut quality, so I hear, and obviously does not scalp as much. The 62 inch is too wide for that kind of deck design, and it cannot handle large volumes of tall grass, hence the bad reports of cut quality. More or less, it's just too big. The 54'' also fits through all of my gates but one, and gives me enough room in my garage to walk by the machine without kicking the mower deck. I still have a good amount of deck sticking out on the left side for cutting close to trees and stuff. Unless your ground is nothing but flat straight mowing with no obstacles, I think the 54 is a much better way to go.

/ Buying x740 versus new x750 what am I missing out on? #10  
Good to see you are so happy with your 2012 X740 and choice of mower deck size, as I am sure many other owners are as well. I am just as sure future owners of the new X700 Signature series will be just as happy. Only time and actual field use by the owners will tell for sure. Everyone has their own wants and choices to make to best suit their own needs.

Today, February 28th, is the last day to take advantage of Deere's $1000 discount on the 2012 X700 series.