John deere 212 repower help!

/ John deere 212 repower help! #11  
I think I'd see if a Chinese engine would fit before buying a short block.

/ John deere 212 repower help!
How much time and money do you want to put into this engine and what are you going to use the tractor for.

Time is no big deal and money isn't much of an issues because I've been saving for awile. It will be used for pulling a heavy firewood cart and a log splitted as well as pulling the occasional log.

Also during this build, I am going to be purchasing new tires all the way around. I would like to go to the 26x12x12 rears over the stock 23x8.5. From what I have read they will clear the fenders and mount on stock rims. Just looking for conformation before I pull the trigger. I'm not worried about mower deck or being level. Thank you.

/ John deere 212 repower help! #14  
another option is to find another 212 donor tractor and switch the motor over. You'll have a pile of spare parts then. I disassembled a 110 and have it in my attic for parts . :)

/ John deere 212 repower help! #15  
Going to larger diameter drive tires will increase top speed but reduce pulling power as you will in effect increase final drive ratio i.e. go from say 3.5:1 to 3:1. That may impact your ability to skid logs and pulling a heavy cart or the log splitter. Just something to consider. You could calculate this by measuring the increase in radius from center of the axle to the ground on each tire.

Just something else to think about. Good luck with the project.

another option is to find another 212 donor tractor and switch the motor over. You'll have a pile of spare parts then. I disassembled a 110 and have it in my attic for parts . :)

Thank you. While a good idea, I couldn't do it since I have a soft spot for there deeres and before long it would be coming down and getting all shined up!

Going to larger diameter drive tires will increase top speed but reduce pulling power as you will in effect increase final drive ratio i.e. go from say 3.5:1 to 3:1. That may impact your ability to skid logs and pulling a heavy cart or the log splitter. Just something to consider. You could calculate this by measuring the increase in radius from center of the axle to the ground on each tire.

Just something else to think about. Good luck with the project.

Thank you also. How much effect would an extra 3 inch tires have? Regardless, I am unsure they will clear my fenders which I refuse to trim.