54'' deck on X700 series.

/ 54'' deck on X700 series. #31  
You guys all cuttin' the same type of grass? I've got centipede down here, and of course, it's cut low/close.

And JD, I hate you for your age/mower. :laughing:

/ 54'' deck on X700 series. #32  
You guys all cuttin' the same type of grass? I've got centipede down here, and of course, it's cut low/close.

And JD, I hate you for your age/mower. :laughing:

Fescue is what I have.

/ 54'' deck on X700 series. #33  
I love fescue, Roger...but it definitely does not love GA, at least not in my little part of GA.
ac9ca517.gif

/ 54'' deck on X700 series. #34  
I have to add, I've only tried it in shade areas. Most of the lawn is centipede, which does pretty well, if I do my part.

/ 54'' deck on X700 series.
I couldn't even venture a guess at what I have.

I do know that most of the property we are on went uncut for years. It used to be high, thick wild grass, and it was slowly trimmed back and made into a lawn.

Since we have very high amounts of rain here, I have a lot of problem areas where grass turns into moss. This stuff is so disconnected from the ground, you can end up on your behind before you know it. One good rub with your shoe and an entire piece of moss will move right off and expose bare soil underneath. Last year was the first year I tried to fertilize some areas, and it did seem to help a little.

I also need to focus on my shaded areas this year. I have a few large spots underneath groups of trees that will not grow anything due to lack of sunlight. I am going to try some seed that is suppose to grow even in the shade.

I can tell you all one thing. My fears about the quality of this 54 inch deck have been put to rest. In fact, for me, I am actually glad I opted for it over the 7 iron. I do a LOT of trailer work with my #18 cart, I need ground clearance. My 54C sits just high enough that 98% of the time, I can accomplish all my tasks with the mower deck still on the tractor. Had I purchased a taller 7 iron deck, I would have been removing/installing very frequently. Even though it is easy with that drive over deck, it still takes time, and removing the drive-shaft does too. I am extremely impressed with the cut quality so far, it has exceeded all of my expectations. Since I am happy with the cut quality, I am glad I didn't spend that extra $1,000 on a larger deck.

/ 54'' deck on X700 series. #37  
Lime will help control moss. In your climate it may be a losing proposition though. I'd at least give it try. I spread about 800 lbs every fall on about 1.5 acres of lawn.

/ 54'' deck on X700 series. #38  
Since we have very high amounts of rain here, I have a lot of problem areas where grass turns into moss. This stuff is so disconnected from the ground, you can end up on your behind before you know it. One good rub with your shoe and an entire piece of moss will move right off and expose bare soil underneath. Last year was the first year I tried to fertilize some areas, and it did seem to help a little.

You might be a good candidate for bar tires. They do VERY well in wet areas and don't tend to spin out and burn like the turfs do. I had concerns about herringbone pattern in the soil, but those went away some 16 years ago. Yes if there's mud or really wet you will show a "print" but the grass hides any evidence.

/ 54'' deck on X700 series.
You might be a good candidate for bar tires. They do VERY well in wet areas and don't tend to spin out and burn like the turfs do. I had concerns about herringbone pattern in the soil, but those went away some 16 years ago. Yes if there's mud or really wet you will show a "print" but the grass hides any evidence.

I thought about bar tires but was concerned with damage. In the winter time, with all of our rain, the ground can get extremely soft, so much so that a footprint can leave damage sometimes.

I should also note I was concerned with traction on the turf tires, and so far it has proven to be much better than I expected. I have tried on purpose to make this tractor "wipe it's feet" and I can't get it to do it. I have a few dirt piles around here that are a steep angle, I would say 40 degrees or so. I have tried numerous times to make the tractor slip by driving straight up these piles. I can't make it slip even a little bit. I have no added weight either. Nothing has stopped this thing, it goes anywhere like an AWD X748, and I haven't even touched the diff lock yet.

/ 54'' deck on X700 series. #40  
I purchased my X700 in September 2012, and I am very pleased with the performance. I ordered it with a 48" deck which cuts better than my old TroyBilt Wide Cut. I selected the 48" deck due to the steep road bed that I can side hill cut, and because the deck is only a couple of inches wider than the tractor I can climb on or off the the slope without the ends of the deck digging into the lawn. I am running JD mulching cutters along with the mulching kit. Trimming around the flower beds is not an issue... YES I am very happy with the set-up!