Picture of 2012 X748 and 2013 X738

/ Picture of 2012 X748 and 2013 X738 #21  
don't mean to sound like a party pooper but aren't you the guy that started an accessories thread adding stuff like this. mud flaps and curb feelers and hubcaps and such. Just sounds like a contradiction

You might want to read his post again. I didn't see JDTank mention any of the things that you state. Looks like trolling to me.

/ Picture of 2012 X748 and 2013 X738 #22  
As far as looks go on the 2012 and the 2013, I like them both. Last year (March) I was all set to buy a X728. Then I had a stroke in May and that put an end to the tractor idea. Now this year I'm about 75% better and have X738 on order. Actually it's better it worked out the way it did because the 2013 offers the drive over deck and will make it a lot easier for me. Quick attach drive over deck and quick attach snowblower should make life a Lil' better as I can't quite do things as I could when I was looking last year.

It's good to hear that you are recuperating from your stroke. I bet you'll have a big ol' smile on when get on that X738.

/ Picture of 2012 X748 and 2013 X738 #24  
I like the simple clean lines of the older model. I'm sure the paint shade difference is just a photo issue. There is something very attractive to me about JD lawn machines with the contrast of yellow and green.

In the photos, the decks sure seem different. On the X748, the deck is flat over the spindle and looks like it has a drive-over pad so you can disconnect easily and drive over the deck. The newer X738 has a bracket over the spindle that I think would be a challenge to drive over. However the trailing links from the front axle to the deck look more beefy on the 2nd model. The anti-scalp wheels and structure look about the same. Aren't the new decks made of lighter weight materials? To me, the deck is the heart and soul of a great mower.

Here are some pictures of the 7-iron deck (green deck) you were talking about and pictures of the new deck 9ga deck (new yellow deck). I still like the 7-iron better myself, but I am bias because I own one.

7-iron-vs-9gaV2.JPG7-iron-vs-9ga.JPG

/ Picture of 2012 X748 and 2013 X738 #25  
The merits of the "old" verses "new" could be argued until the cows come home. I have got to give you credit, eagle107, at least you admit being biased in favor of the one you already own, which I suspect is the case of another one or two owners. Human nature. Having owned neither, I think both are equally as good, but the 7-iron is definitely a commercial quality deck.

/ Picture of 2012 X748 and 2013 X738 #26  
I just ordered a new 2012 x749 that my dealer is getting from another state. I like the old style hood vs the new look. The seat on the new ones is nice but i'm sure i could swap that onto the 2012. I really wanted 4wd, AWS, and a diesel. That combination is no longer availible I am told because the tractor would require a ROPS. The dealer shot me a great deal with the 1K rebate from Deere of 11K. My only real hang up is on the deck. I understand you can't put a 7 iron deck on an 2012 AWS model. I really don't want to pay $1500 more for a 2013 gas engine just to get a better deck. I'm not sure if the drive over deck is that important if I still need to get under the tractor to disconnect stuff only to either get back on the tractor to drive off it or slide it out the side. Either way I am going to have to move it because I am not going to leave it in the middle of the floor. Has anyone successfully fit a 7iron deck to a AWS model? I really like the higher capacity for mulching and the thicker medal.

Sorry for being a windbag.

/ Picture of 2012 X748 and 2013 X738
Bubba, Not sure where you got your info. But if you go to a JD website you'll find the X754 is a diesel with 4x4 and AWS. Also the 739 is 4x4, AWS with a gas engine. I think the cost of that seat may shock you a bit. FYI John Deere has a 500.00 coupon out now that is good until April 31. Start working with a dealer and by the time your done you'll find that a new tractor can actually be less than what the 2012 was when new. as far as I know none of the 700's require a ROP.

/ Picture of 2012 X748 and 2013 X738 #28  
jb,

Thanks for the response but check your research again. The 2013 x754 is indeed AWS and a diesel but it is not 4WD. X749 is the only AWS, 4WD, Diesel. Verified by JD web site and every dealer I have talked with. So there really is no compatible new model.

/ Picture of 2012 X748 and 2013 X738
Ya' thats correct. You caught me on that one. I think you must have meant to say 739 instead of 749. I just picked up some Lit. this morning and yes it does show the X739 with 4WS and 4WD but the X754 as diesel and 4WS only. Happy to say I did just sign the paperwork today for a X738 4WD.

/ Picture of 2012 X748 and 2013 X738 #30  
Jb, how long till you get it? If I can ask, how much was it before taxes and what size deck did you get? I still have time to change my mind to a 2013.