John Deere 160

/ John Deere 160 #1  

DeereFan89

Tractor
'84 JD160 Lawn Tractor, '98 CubCadet HDS2135, Still Collecting!
Hey guys!

Got a 1984 John Deere 160 riding mower, runs, starts and drives awesome!! However as soon as I switch on my PTO, it kills my mower within a matter of seconds... what could be causing this?? PTO switch works 100% as its brand new

/ John Deere 160 #2  
Have you checked the dead man switch in the seat? It sounds like it is acting like you are not sitting in the seat when you flip the switch.

/ John Deere 160
Looks like whoever repainted the tractor removed the switch & taped the wires together, my guess is they by passed the switch all together. Ordered a new one this morning.. when I install it, what if the symptoms are still existing?? What should I check from there?

/ John Deere 160 #4  
If I were a betting man, I'd say that is your problem and a new part should fix the problem. I can't think of anything else that could be causing the problem. I worked on my 165 today and couldn't find anything else that might be causing the motor to shut down other than the deadman switch. Keep us posted.

/ John Deere 160
Did you pull your switch, Tape them together, and engage your PTO? Try that and let me know if your Engine stalls

/ John Deere 160
Have you checked the dead man switch in the seat? It sounds like it is acting like you are not sitting in the seat when you flip the switch.

Its ALIVE!!! PTO is working 100% installed new seat switch works fine!! Only issue is when engaged the belts squeal like an sob!

/ John Deere 160 #7  
Yea! Sounds like you have a running Deere again. I always turn the PTO on when the engine is at high idle and it squeals for just a few seconds. Now would be a good time to make sure the bearings on the mower deck are greased. I just removed and sharpened the blades, cleaned up the underside of my deck, painted it and greased everything and its running like a brand new machine. I have to admit though, it is such a pain in the butt to install the mower deck on the older Deere units. The snow blade goes on quick, but I hate it when spring comes around when its time for the deck to go on. I make sure I go over the deck real good before I have to go through the install process. If I end up with a squeal, I'll get out the WD40.