JD 318 Electrical Issue

/ JD 318 Electrical Issue #1  

Y2KF250PSD

Silver Member
This is a 1989 model with 1250 hours.

A year or so ago, the battery warning light began staying on and the battery wouldn't charge. I installed a new voltage regulator/rectifier and it fixed the problem.

Yesterday, it suddenly shut down when running. I was able to get it restarted but now the battery light is again. Additionally, it runs as long as its in neutral but when you attempt to move the hydro-stat handle and the neutral safety switch releases, the engine dies.

I ordered another rectifier but the neutral switch has me concerned there may be another problem. Or is that another symptom of a bad rectifier?

Thanks

/ JD 318 Electrical Issue #2  
How old is your battery, are you sure it is good?
Ken

/ JD 318 Electrical Issue
Just put the battery in last year when i replaced the last voltage rectifier, it's been working fine. I'm hoping the new rectifier will solve both problems, will advise

/ JD 318 Electrical Issue #4  
I don't have the answer, but I have a PDF of the Deere Tech manual you're welcome to that I bet does. Shoot me your email
Joe

[
I don't have the answer, but I have a PDF of the Deere Tech manual you're welcome to that I bet does. Shoot me your email
Joe

Joe

My email is ***********

Thanks very much for your generous offer

Chuck,

Last edited:
   / JD 318 Electrical Issue #6  
Did you check the seat switch? If its bad the engine will die when shifted out of neutral. Had to replace the one on my 87 318 a few years ago.

That switch was actually bypassed when i got the machine but i did double check it. Thanks for the idea though

/ JD 318 Electrical Issue #8  
That switch was actually bypassed when i got the machine but i did double check it. Thanks for the idea though

I thought about bypassing mine also but at about the same time a friends dad rolled his mower over on top of himself and was glad the seat switch was working. He broke his leg but didn't get chewed up by a running mower.

Well a new regulator/rectifier didn't fix it. Still have battery light on when running and engine dies when neutral switch is released.

Great

It's fixed. One of the two fuses by the battery was MISSING. Not sure how it came out but that fixed the problems!