2320 and 2520 Tach Die

/ 2320 and 2520 Tach Die #1  

jimjo2

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, 5303, 5320, Z997R
I have both a 2320 and a 2520 and I am having a terrible time with the tach, I have replaced the 2320 tach and cable at 315 hours and now my 2520 died at 285 hours. I have asked my dealer to check with Deere to see what's going on. At $400 to $500 a pop I hesitate throwing away money again for a short-lived fix. Anybody out there have similar experience? And by the way, I'm out of warranty.

/ 2320 and 2520 Tach Die #2  
I just had my dash apart and have a solution. I have a 2320. Mine died at 117 hrs. Here is the deal. The tach is getting moisture in it and seazing up which causes the cable to break. Simply replacing the cable will not solve the problem but you don't need a new dash.
What I did:
Removed cable and found it twisted off at the engine. It looked like it still had a bit of oil on it so I was curious as to why it would break. I pulled the dash and found the tach locked up. I simply removed the 2 little screws in the back to pull off the cable connection and the one drive gear and with a little wd40 I was able to free up the shaft. I then hooked up my cordless drill and spun it up and kept hitting it with wd40 until the rust stopped coming out. Cleaned everything up (I just washed it in dawn and warm water) I left it out to dry tonight and will get a new cable tomorrow. The only way to keep this from happening is to lube it once in a while (the back of the dash) or keep your tractor out of the rain.

Sorry in advance as i don't do pictures because I work alone. It is very obvious once you get the dash off.

Warning: If your tach quits DO NOT replace the cable unless you free up the tach first as you will just destroy the new cable!

/ 2320 and 2520 Tach Die
Thanks rshrimp! I dove into the meter assembly and found the shaft that spins the meter was stuck. I sprayed some penetrating oil into the area and got it freed up and all works well. I am concerned that this is not a permanent fix. I suspect that once the lube wears off it will stick again. I also believe a new meter eventually will do the same. According to my dealer, Deere has no failure history on this part.

/ 2320 and 2520 Tach Die #4  
Thanks rshrimp! I dove into the meter assembly and found the shaft that spins the meter was stuck. I sprayed some penetrating oil into the area and got it freed up and all works well. I am concerned that this is not a permanent fix. I suspect that once the lube wears off it will stick again. I also believe a new meter eventually will do the same. According to my dealer, Deere has no failure history on this part.

Is your tractor typically stored inside or outside.

/ 2320 and 2520 Tach Die
Never sits outside.

/ 2320 and 2520 Tach Die #6  
What i did was put a dab of grease under the black thingy where the 2 gears mesh. Should keep it free for a long time. I am going to add this proceedure to my 100 hour service. It only takes a few minites.