Tow Behind Spreader Recommendation

/ Tow Behind Spreader Recommendation #1  

fabsroman

Silver Member
Did some research on the John Deere 175 pound tow behind broadcast spreader and it looks like it is a complete piece of junk with plastic gears. Does anybody have one of these and is it worth the money?

What are the rest of you guys using as a broadcast spreader or drop spreader?

Thanks

/ Tow Behind Spreader Recommendation #2  
I have one and it's your typical John Deere overrated attachment. Works if you put half a hopper of material in it. About 50 pounds of material. If you put more the agitator has too much weight on it and the gears strip. All the other spreaders have a mesh screen in them to take some of the weight off the agitator, but Deere couldn't even give you that. I would not recommend them.

/ Tow Behind Spreader Recommendation #3  
Would a sure sign the gears are stripped be that it won't spin and disperse the fertilizer?

/ Tow Behind Spreader Recommendation #4  
I have a 40" drop spreader tow behind and a tow behind spin spreader(don't know which model) by Deere and don't like either one, too cheaply constructed. I am looking for something to use with my 749 with either ground drive or pto drive. Wan't to get it with a chute control I can operate from the seat this time.

/ Tow Behind Spreader Recommendation #5  
I use a TurfEX that I mount to my2" receiver. I use it on my Z and also on the back of my gator. Hooks to the battery with finger tip controls for operating the gate, on/off, and speed of the discharge. Totally worth the money. Paid around $1,200 shipped from Zoro tools. Will hold 3-4 bags of fert.

/ Tow Behind Spreader Recommendation #6  
The John Deere tow behind spin spreader is a re-badged Brinly or Agri-Fab (I forget which one) with nylon gears designed to not rust. Unfortunately, they're designed to not last either. Id avoid it.

/ Tow Behind Spreader Recommendation #7  
I have a Agri-fab. It works well. You can easily shut it off from the seat. Not the best quality, but it is worth the price.

/ Tow Behind Spreader Recommendation #8  
I have given this more thought and will consider an electric powered spin spreader too. So if it doesn't matter whether it is ground driven, pto or electric and can be either 3ph or towable who makes the best small spin spreader?

I pull a large spin spreader provided by the local coop for the big jobs and it works real well. With the conveyor belt and ground drive it is easy to use without spillage.

/ Tow Behind Spreader Recommendation #9  
I've used the co-op rented tow behind spreaders in the past, and they were very nice. They'd hold a half dozen bags of fertilzer. 500lbs? I don't know if they ever show up used.

3pt hitch spreaders are also good too.

I recently snagged a used JD602 spreader for real cheap. A bit rusted. It is supposed to carry about 2 tons. So, my thoughts are that if it could be made to be road safe, I could purchase fertilizer in bulk which is supposed to save quite a bit, then go directly from the supplier to the field. It won't be ready this year. I still have to think whether I want two tons on a single axle in a wet field. Or, perhaps I'll just use the bin off of it.

What are you pulling your intended spreader with?

/ Tow Behind Spreader Recommendation #10  
Clifford,
The coop spreader I used is a tandem axle pull type trailer that holds a few thousand pounds of seed/fertilizer, pulled this with my 4520 tractor. Besides the little lawn sized spreaders I have a Turbo Spin 450 which holds about 300 lbs of fertilizer or 100 lbs of seed +. just a normal sized 3ph spin spreader. The Turbo Spin is IMatch so I can use it on the x749 mower for a couple of bags at a time.