Tractor
    John Deere X340

Default My first John Deere!

Hello folks. New member and glad to be here. I'm 29 years old and bought my first home and property 3 years ago. 5 1/2 acres in a valley in Kentucky. After mowing grass with a old Famall tractor the past few years I figured it was time for a nice mower. My dad has only owned 2 mowers in my lifetime. A 1980 JD 116 that ran for 19 years until it burned up in a barn fire. He replaced it with a GT235 that is 13 years and going strong. So naturally my first instinct was I need a JD around my place that I won't have to replace every 5 years.

So anyhow I found this 2009 used JD x340. The fella bought it brand new in 2010 from a dealer and it only has 128 hours on it. I couldn't afford a brand new one so this was the way to go. I had to drive 200 miles to go see it because a X series is hard to find used around here. I guess folks who buy them keep them unlike the Home Depot D series which are for sale left and right everywhere I look. Anyway what I found was a nice older gentleman will a very wall maintained machine. Original bill of sale and all the paperwork. He said he bought a new zero turn mower and wanted someone to take his JD and enjoy it. He was asking 3,000 for it but I only had 2700 to spend. He accepted the 2700 and I couldn't get the money out fast enough!!! Judging from prices online for used X340 I got a killer deal on it.

Got home late last night. Took a spin around the yard and what a Cadillac it is! Smooth as silk and the hydro transmission is pert near silent. I'd had a cub cadet from Home Depot the past 2 weeks that I returned to them in order to buy this and the difference is daylight and dark. Like getting off a old nag horse and onto a well breed gaited Kentucky saddle horse.

A few observations that you guys may help me understand. It has a 25hp Kawasaki engine that runs smooth as silk. But it doesn't seem as powerfull as the 24hp Kohler I had on that cub cadet. That Kohler was a fearless powerhouse. Maybe it's just a illusion of the mind because the Kaw is so smooth. It is a smaller engine though, 675cc vrs the 725cc Kohler. The Kaw supposivly has 1 more HP but doesn't feel like it. Doesn't have that mean bottom end torque that Kohler had. I have no doubt the Kaw is a better longer lasting engine than the Kohler Courage.

Also after running full throttle it doesn't want to come down to a idle easily. Seems to hang up around a quarter throttle sometimes. If I goose the engine and pull the throttle back it will come down to idle. Could the throttle linkage be a little sticky? I may try a little wd40 and see if it helps

Here she is

My first John Deere!-723ff2e5802e3969c99b9411d3d768d6-jpg

Tractor
    Deere 5075E MFWD OOS w/PR, 540E; Gator 825i

Default Re: My first John Deere!

Congrats on the new Green Machine!

Tractor
    John Deere

This is great. Keep us posted with the work it does!

Tractor
    John Deere 2720

Congrats! Nice looking machine you've got there!