JD 430 help

/ JD 430 help #1  

dj1701

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320, Kubota BX2680
Hi all,

I have a JD 430 garden tractor. I am having 2 problems with it. First, the tractor wanders from side to side. The faster you go, the worse it gets. I replaced the bushings, tie rod ends and adjusted the toe-in. It still does the same thing?

Second, the hydrostatic lever seems very touchy. It's hard to come to an easy stop. When you take off, it jerks your head back. I have an older 316 that does not do this.

Thanks
Dave

/ JD 430 help #2  
I have a 430 that drives straight and true, and the sunstrand 90 transaxle is very smooth to control via the hand lever.

The front end power steering design might have a weak link where the spindle connects to the hydro ram arm. I'd have a look over all moving parts in the steering whilst someone is slowly turning the wheel back and forth.

And actually it just occurred to me that maybe you are getting some air in the hydro system? That might cause both of your symptoms! Is your fluid level OK? do you have air getting in to the system anywhere? (front remotes perhaps?)

When I had the pan off of mine I had to "adjust" a few of the hard hydraulic lines due to the fact that they were touching another piece of metal - which would inevitably lead to a leak. You might want to check those things and let us know what happens! Sounds like you need to take it all apart and dig deeper, and replace hydro fluid and filter with JD Low viscosity HY Guard!

/ JD 430 help
I have not figured out the steering issue yet. I did order a new hydro shock absorber for the hydro lever. The old one was shot. I hope this will prove to be the problem..

/ JD 430 help #4  
Did you figure the touchy hydro out yet? I have a 400 that acts the same.