need opinions on which mower to purchase, X740 used, X540 or X710

/ need opinions on which mower to purchase, X740 used, X540 or X710 #1  

cca50

Tractor
looking hard now
Happened across the forum while trying to decided what mower I need to fit my needs. I have done a bunch of reading on the internet but this is my first post asking for help. I have a bad back and need a right knee replaced, getting old hasn't been much fun. Unfortunately my property was hit by a tornado on 4/27/11, but at least I had something left to work with, much luckier than many in the area. Only have an acre but use to only have to cut less than half that. I lost 42 oak and hickory trees 60 feet and taller. The canopy from the lost trees use to keep grass from growing, now it is a mess and tying to grow over with all kind of weeds and grass. Luckily I had assistance in removing most of the stumps. It is on a rough, steep grade so my old craftsman rider isn't helping. Thinking I need something that has traction control or 4 wheel drive. Would be nice to have something with ground attachment ability to at least make the area more user friendly. Local JD dealer has been NO help. Kubota dealer wants to sell me just what he has in stock, a GR2120 but I don't think this is what I need. Talking to a large JD dealer 60 miles away. He is recommending either a used 2008 X740 with 286 Hrs and a 54 deck. priced at $7900.00(no rear pto), a new X710 48 priced at $9379.00 or a new X540 48 priced at $6859.00. I prefer the 48" deck due to obstacles a 54" will not fit around. The X740 (no warranty) was a local trade in the dealer sold originally and has done the servicing, owner wanted a zero turn and from what I was told didn't use the X740 for anything but cutting grass. I turned wrenches for years both at work and at home because I enjoyed it and have hydraulic experience. From what I have read on this site, I know yall have much more experience and hopefully can provide some advice. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions."
There are 3 other John Deere Dealers within 80 miles plus the local dealer I have spoken with so what is available this time of year changes daily.

Last edited:
   / need opinions on which mower to purchase, X740 used, X540 or X710 #2  
With steeper hillsides and trees to mow around I bought an x749 with 4x4ws and 3ph, been very happy with it.

/ need opinions on which mower to purchase, X740 used, X540 or X710 #3  
I purchased a 2012 X740 3 months ago now.

What I can tell you, is the X500 series is overpriced. $7,000, and your still getting a riding mower. Spend just a little more money, and your getting a garden tractor, a HUGE difference.

If you have any kind of hard work to do, or ground engagement, I would not even consider anything less than an X700 series.

Also, if you do buy an X700 series, buy a diesel. They sip fuel like you wouldn't believe, and the power is amazing. Gas tractors should have died with the dinosaurs...just saying! :D

/ need opinions on which mower to purchase, X740 used, X540 or X710 #4  
When I was looking for a new mower/tractor, I looked at both the x5xx and the x7xx. I like JDTank thought that the X7xx offered much more tractor for the money and would do more and last longer than the x5xx. In reality, both tractors would most likely last longer than me. However, unlike TDTank, I think that the gas versions of the x7xx offer the same benefits of the diesel with a lower initial costs. If you are like me, I was pushing to justify an x7xx and didn't think I could go for the extra $1000 for diesel. Besides, I have nothing elses on my property that runs diesel, I know gas engines, diesel fuel cost more and I calculated that I could never pay back the extra cost of the diesel. So I still think there is a place for gas X7xx and I would recommend considering one. Really, the x5xx and all the x7xx's are great tractors and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

/ need opinions on which mower to purchase, X740 used, X540 or X710 #5  
When I was looking for a new mower/tractor, I looked at both the x5xx and the x7xx. I like JDTank thought that the X7xx offered much more tractor for the money and would do more and last longer than the x5xx. In reality, both tractors would most likely last longer than me. However, unlike TDTank, I think that the gas versions of the x7xx offer the same benefits of the diesel with a lower initial costs. If you are like me, I was pushing to justify an x7xx and didn't think I could go for the extra $1000 for diesel. Besides, I have nothing elses on my property that runs diesel, I know gas engines, diesel fuel cost more and I calculated that I could never pay back the extra cost of the diesel. So I still think there is a place for gas X7xx and I would recommend considering one. Really, the x5xx and all the x7xx's are great tractors and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

All true, I won't argue.

Even if you are going to consider a gas tractor, go with the X700 series. It is fuel injected which offers much greater efficiency, more power, and no warm up period in cold temperatures like you would need with a carb'd engine.

I would steer clear of the X710 because as far as I know, it still comes with a carb'd engine. It also is the absolute base model of the X700 series, not even coming standard with hydraulic couplers. Step into the X730, the old X720 model, and you get a full load machine with fuel injection and hydraulics ready to go out of the gate.

/ need opinions on which mower to purchase, X740 used, X540 or X710 #6  
One thing to consider is how easy is it to remove the mower deck from the tractor. If the X740 you are looking at has a yellow mower on it, it will need regular cleaning because of cut grass buildup under the deck and it's a hassle to remove and install the mower because the PTO shaft is under the tractor in front of the transaxle. If the used X740 has a green mower which is called a 7-iron, it builds up less with grass under the deck since the deck is "deeper" with a much higher air volume and doesn't need cleaning as often.

The belt drive mowers are much easier to remove and re-install.

Bill

/ need opinions on which mower to purchase, X740 used, X540 or X710 #7  
One thing to consider is how easy is it to remove the mower deck from the tractor. If the X740 you are looking at has a yellow mower on it, it will need regular cleaning because of cut grass buildup under the deck and it's a hassle to remove and install the mower because the PTO shaft is under the tractor in front of the transaxle. If the used X740 has a green mower which is called a 7-iron, it builds up less with grass under the deck since the deck is "deeper" with a much higher air volume and doesn't need cleaning as often.

The belt drive mowers are much easier to remove and re-install.

Bill

I can attest to this.

In my opinion, it is well worth the hassle to deal with it on an X700 series, than to own an X500 instead.

The grass build-up under my 54 inch deck on my X740 is a little worse than I had hoped. I need to clean it about every 4 or 5 mowings. I think part of my problem is my blades, but if I can't figure out a way to keep the deck clean, I may opt to trade in my 54 inch deck for a 7 Iron. This is another reason I hope the new HC decks will fit on the 2008 to 2012 X700 series. If they do, I guarantee you I will be trading my 54 inch edge extra for the 54'' HC. The only thing that stopped me from getting the 7-Iron deck is it's weight, and I can't fit through my gates with a 60 inch wide deck.

/ need opinions on which mower to purchase, X740 used, X540 or X710
I can attest to this.

In my opinion, it is well worth the hassle to deal with it on an X700 series, than to own an X500 instead.

The grass build-up under my 54 inch deck on my X740 is a little worse than I had hoped. I need to clean it about every 4 or 5 mowings. I think part of my problem is my blades, but if I can't figure out a way to keep the deck clean, I may opt to trade in my 54 inch deck for a 7 Iron. This is another reason I hope the new HC decks will fit on the 2008 to 2012 X700 series. If they do, I guarantee you I will be trading my 54 inch edge extra for the 54'' HC. The only thing that stopped me from getting the 7-Iron deck is it's weight, and I can't fit through my gates with a 60 inch wide deck.

I currently have a 2006 Craftsman 24 hp Intec BS engine 42" deck hydro that cuts the established grass on level ground. (it doesn't do any hills at all) It too builds up grass on the deck. Learned long ago it's very easy to take my leaf blower and blow the deck, motor and the mower off after ever use. Takes a couple of minutes and eliminates buildup. Just for what it's worth.

/ need opinions on which mower to purchase, X740 used, X540 or X710 #9  
I have never removed a deck to clean it. I just hook my chain falls to the front bumper/frame and hoist the front end up about three feet. From there it is simple to remove the build up.

Also, I only clean the deck out 2_3 times a year. Granted, I usually try go mow once a week and when it is dry so maybe that is why there is always just limited build-up.

Lastly, I think some folks are drastically under rating the 500 series. These are fine working machines and are all most people need, IMHO.

/ need opinions on which mower to purchase, X740 used, X540 or X710 #10  
I currently have a 2006 Craftsman 24 hp Intec BS engine 42" deck hydro that cuts the established grass on level ground. (it doesn't do any hills at all) It too builds up grass on the deck. Learned long ago it's very easy to take my leaf blower and blow the deck, motor and the mower off after ever use. Takes a couple of minutes and eliminates buildup. Just for what it's worth.

Yep, I do that too, but it doesn't clean the grass buildup under the deck that eventually sours and molds and stinks up my shop.:eek:

Bill