help requested for Deere 455 60" mower deck height

/ help requested for Deere 455 60" mower deck height #1  

iowa

Bronze Member
When I lower my deck the anti-scalp wheels firmly press the concrete in my shed.

I know that the wheels are not supposed to touch the surface.

The blade height is 2" and I'd like to get it closer to 2.5" But when I adust the depth stop control, the blade doesn't get any higher.

What are the steps to getting the deck and the blades to the proper cutting height?

thank you.

/ help requested for Deere 455 60" mower deck height #2  
There are hooks underneath that let you lock the mower deck arms in the up position. These can get between the arms and the frame inhibiting lift height. As for gauge wheels, they move up down by adjusting the pins at each wheel. They should barely kiss the ground. Should be able to get about 4" of cut height.

/ help requested for Deere 455 60" mower deck height #3  
If the deck is truly resting on the stop you will not be able to crank it up. If you have not lifted the deck hydraulically this may be why it will not adjust upward. Use the short hydraulic lever to lift the deck and verify that it moves up and down first.

There is a deck height indicator in the "hump" of the tunnel next to the adjusting wheel. It's a yellow bar that rides below a slot in the floor. Make sure that this indicator in the slot moves as the deck comes up and down.

If the deck moves, and you cannot get it to remain up with the adjuster wheel then it sounds like something may be detached with the depth control stop.

/ help requested for Deere 455 60" mower deck height
I may have explained my issue incorrectly. The deck will raise and lower. When it is all the way down, it rests on the ground. When I raise the deck all the way up then crank the depth gauge clockwise, then lower the deck and remeasure the blade height, it is the same.

Do I have two issues here? One being the deck needs to be higher at it lowest position and, secondly, the blade needs to be higher with the deck is lower? I almost think that if the lowest deck position is higher, the blade height will solve itself.

/ help requested for Deere 455 60" mower deck height #5  
Do I have two issues here? One being the deck needs to be higher at it lowest position and, secondly, the blade needs to be higher with the deck is lower? I almost think that if the lowest deck position is higher, the blade height will solve itself.

I'm still a little confused with what's going on here. The height of the blades directly correlates to the height of the deck. There is no independent adjustment between the blades and deck.

When you hydraulically raise the deck, turn the height adjustment wheel clockwise, then lower the deck, the deck should be higher than it was previously. Each turn of the wheel results in a 1/2" change in deck height. If that isn't happening, it sounds like you have an issue with the adjustment mechanism. Have a look here: http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/MP13/MP13963________UN24JAN95.gif The image might better explain what's going on.

/ help requested for Deere 455 60" mower deck height #6  
The blades are attached to the deck. They up and down with the deck. It sounds like your lower stop isn't working right. Did you check those Jhooks on the frame? Are they out of the way?