JD 316 garden tractor will not run - gas pumps to engine but will not start

/ JD 316 garden tractor will not run - gas pumps to engine but will not start #1  

jeturn

Tractor
John Deere 316
Will not run although gas is getting through - changed fuel filter but machine will still not start

/ JD 316 garden tractor will not run - gas pumps to engine but will not start #2  
Will not run although gas is getting through - changed fuel filter but machine will still not start

I am not familiar with the 316, is it carb'd?

I am a small engine mechanic, and it could be numerous things. One of the biggest issues I see is old fuel, or fuel with moisture in it. Even gasoline with stabilizer in it will not last long. If it is old fuel, you will need to remove the carb, take it apart, clean it, and put it back on. Easy as pie for me, but I do 20 of them a day. If you aren't comfortable, take it to a shop.

You could also have a broken rocker arm, burnt out valve. It isn't common but I see engines skip timing every once in a while.

Start with the simple things first. Just because fuel is getting to the carb, does not mean it's getting to the engine. If you know fuel is going into the engine, check for spark. If you have spark, and fuel, start looking at valves. Don't forget to rule out simple things like a broken switch that could be keeping the coil grounded out, preventing spark. Again, you will see this when you check for spark.

/ JD 316 garden tractor will not run - gas pumps to engine but will not start #3  
jeturn
what engine do you have?
kohler single ?
onan twin, if so which one?
thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy )

/ JD 316 garden tractor will not run - gas pumps to engine but will not start #4  
Hiya,

Here is how I troubleshoot small 4 cycle engine starting issues:
1) crank or pullstart the engine over
2) place a cupped hand over the exhaust outlet, Do you feel a puff of air when the engine turns over?
No: Engine has a major issue, no compression, broken valve, bent valve, broken connecting rod, not looking good
Yes: Engine can be assumed to be in good enough condition to start, continue to step 3
3) cup you hand and smell the air in your hand
Smells like fresh fuel: You have either a spark or ignition timing issue.
Smells like varnish or paint thinner: you have old gasoline, clean fuel system and put in fresh gas try again
Does not smell like fuel at all: You have a fuel delivery or carb issue.

I know it's simplistic, but these engines are pretty simple. This is the technique I used when I ran a small engine repair business in my teens.

Tom

/ JD 316 garden tractor will not run - gas pumps to engine but will not start #5  
Hiya,

Here is how I troubleshoot small 4 cycle engine starting issues:
1) crank or pullstart the engine over
2) place a cupped hand over the exhaust outlet, Do you feel a puff of air when the engine turns over?
No: Engine has a major issue, no compression, broken valve, bent valve, broken connecting rod, not looking good
Yes: Engine can be assumed to be in good enough condition to start, continue to step 3
3) cup you hand and smell the air in your hand
Smells like fresh fuel: You have either a spark or ignition timing issue.
Smells like varnish or paint thinner: you have old gasoline, clean fuel system and put in fresh gas try again
Does not smell like fuel at all: You have a fuel delivery or carb issue.

I know it's simplistic, but these engines are pretty simple. This is the technique I used when I ran a small engine repair business in my teens.

Tom

This goes along with no exhaust coming from the muffler, but if exhaust is coming out of your air filter or carb, you have serious valve issues, usually not cost efficient to repair.

/ JD 316 garden tractor will not run - gas pumps to engine but will not start #6  
There were two runs of the 316: one in the 70's with the Kohler and one with the Onan.If you have the Kohler, you probably should start with a new set of points and condenser. Pull the spark plug. If its dry after you crank it over, then youre not getting gas. Your carb needs cleaning. if its wet, assume no spark. You should get about 12VDC on the positive terminal of the coil with the key switch on.

/ JD 316 garden tractor will not run - gas pumps to engine but will not start #7  
I had a 318 with the Onan engine and the condensers failed fairly often due to excessive heat. Whenever it died it was the condenser.

/ JD 316 garden tractor will not run - gas pumps to engine but will not start #8  
There were two runs of the 316: one in the 70's with the Kohler and one with the Onan.If you have the Kohler, you probably should start with a new set of points and condenser. Pull the spark plug. If its dry after you crank it over, then youre not getting gas. Your carb needs cleaning. if its wet, assume no spark. You should get about 12VDC on the positive terminal of the coil with the key switch on.

Actually,there was a points/condenser Onan also. All Onan's prior to 1987 were the B43E with points and condenser. 1987 to end of production had the P218G with electronic ignition.

I had a 318 with the Onan engine and the condensers failed fairly often due to excessive heat

Bad coil will do the same thing on either type of Onan.

Greg