BRAND NEW 728 PROBLEMS

/ BRAND NEW 728 PROBLEMS #1  

cantbeatadeere

Bronze Member
Tractor
03 4710, 06 728
First off everyone will say take it back...local dealer owns the 7 stores around us with a poor service reputation. I would like to at least diag. it myself. the tractor was picked up this morning(brand new) and was used mowing for 2-3 hrs, shut it off, went back to mowing and when the mid pto is engaged it is a VERY soft engagement and i can stop the shaft with a light touch of a 2x4......anyone have this issue, and what did it end up being. .. side note... zero anti freeze in overflow, zero grease on any fittings, 1 and a half quarts low on hyguard, deck slightly off---BUT it was full of gas. serviced it ourself before even running it, now this---LEMON?????:confused2:

/ BRAND NEW 728 PROBLEMS #2  
mine also needed 1.5 q hyguard. dealer just gave it to me. has be fine since filling. also had to top off coolant a few times and then it stabilized.
does the mid PTO ever get up to speed? does it spin the deck?

I have a '12 728.

ba

/ BRAND NEW 728 PROBLEMS
yes, the blades will speed up but as soon as you touch grass the blades stop, you can engage the 62 inch deck at an idle and hardly drops the eng.

/ BRAND NEW 728 PROBLEMS #4  
Sounds like a terrific shock load was delivered via the PTO shaft to the PTO assembly. You may try removing and reinstalling the PTO shaft coupler at the PTO coming from the transmission. I am afraid though you will have to avail yourself of your dealers less than stellar service.

/ BRAND NEW 728 PROBLEMS #5  
Sounds like PTO clutch, but in case it's something simple like a shaft roll pin missing, I'd check the deck out first. Make sure the blades feel "connected" to the driveshaft. The blades may slip in the sheaves in one direction, but should grab tight if pushing on the cutting edge.

/ BRAND NEW 728 PROBLEMS #6  
If you can stop the PTO shaft by lightly touching it with a 2x4 something is wrong in the PTO area of the transaxle. Checking mower blades to ascertain if they are slipping is down stream from where the problem is occurring.

/ BRAND NEW 728 PROBLEMS
I have been looking in the service manual and there are a couple pressure test ports to narrow it down, prob a couple hour process and a trip to napa for a pressure guage and adaptors/fittings, it looks like anything that causes this symptom is internal,. load up and take back..........I can see a nightmare comming.

/ BRAND NEW 728 PROBLEMS #8  
I have to ask, did you know about the dealers reputation before buying from him?

I'll say it, send her back.

/ BRAND NEW 728 PROBLEMS
Yes, dealer has a poor rep, but was the only one within a three hour drive with a 728 left. hand were kinda tied.

/ BRAND NEW 728 PROBLEMS #10  
I wouldn't touch the mechanicals on the new machine, rather take it back to the dealer. Don't think it is in your best interest at this point to self diagnose as it may lead to problems getting your money back. From what I have read I don't see what is special about the x728, maybe the price? Might wan't to buy a new x738 from a better dealership.