john deere 180 dies

/ john deere 180 dies #1  

cuzbone65

Tractor
jd 180
I have a JD 180 with a Kawasaki FC540v engine. While cutting,the engine spit a couple times. Later while still cutting, the motor just died, and won't start up. Its getting gas and spark.Could it be a stuck valve? a friend mentioned that may be it. Help!

/ john deere 180 dies #2  
Can you take a compression test to determine if it is in specs/ also take the plug out and ground it, crank the engine and see if you have a good strong
spark. It most likely is electrical , start w/ the key switch and work your way through the primary circuit, keep in mind all the safety features that
they have on these mowers. You can use a test light as you go and eliminate what is working, also change the plug (s) if the spark is in question. Check your points, I don't know this model so refer to your service manual, or go online. Good luck.

/ john deere 180 dies
after inspecting the electrical system i amstill stuck... the tractor turns over well, but it wont fire up. it seems to be getting gas as well as spark...any other suggestions?

/ john deere 180 dies #4  
Did you take a compression test, it will tell you #1 if the engine has enough compression to start.
Remember the the 3 things you need to make a engine run #1 gas #2, spark and #3. compression. .
How many clyd. does your'e machine have ? Also what does the plug look like ? If your plug (s) is black and wet with gas, it's fouled, it should be sort of
tan in color. Did you take the plug out and ground it to the engine block to see what type of spark you have ?

If you don't have a compression tester, pull the plug out and put your thumb over the hole firmly, and crank the engine. if it blows your thumb away
it probably has sufficient compression to start. Don't be afraid to use your thumb it wont hurt you, just be careful. But I strongly urge you to use a
proper compression tester, I believe you can purchase one at your local automotive store for under 35 to 40 bucks.

Let me know how things work out , and good luck.

/ john deere 180 dies #5  
Are you absolutely sure it is getting fuel into the cylinders? My 180 had two fuel problems. The first was that the fuel solenoid on the carb died. As a result the machine would start and then sputter and die. You can easily listen to see if you here the click of the solenoid when you turn the key to the run position. If you don't hear it then pull the solenoid off the carb to confirm that the pin is not retracting when the solenoid is getting power.

The second fuel problem I had was a failed fuel pump. It would cause the machine to starve for fuel under load unless the choke was engaged, and then it would run poorly.

Just my experiences with that machine

/ john deere 180 dies
Are you absolutely sure it is getting fuel into the cylinders? My 180 had two fuel problems. The first was that the fuel solenoid on the carb died. As a result the machine would start and then sputter and die. You can easily listen to see if you here the click of the solenoid when you turn the key to the run position. If you don't hear it then pull the solenoid off the carb to confirm that the pin is not retracting when the solenoid is getting power.

The second fuel problem I had was a failed fuel pump. It would cause the machine to starve for fuel under load unless the choke was engaged, and then it would run poorly.

Just my experiences with that machine

I don't think there is a solenoid on this carb.