Gas or Diesel

/ Gas or Diesel #1  

Pete6114

Gold Member
Tractor
F2690(Sold) GR2120(Sold) L3240(sold) B1700(sold)
I am considering a X700. Going today for a test drive to see how they handle on and across slopes. 4-whd but no 4-wheel steering.
Is gas or a Diesel engine better to have?

/ Gas or Diesel #2  
Diesel is heavier and the fuel is more expensive. The diesel will last about 2 times longer than a comparable gas. Diesel will use about 1/2 the amount of fuel a gas does. Diesel has better torque. I have a diesel BX1500 and it is used as a lawn mower and I am impress at how well it powers a 54" mower deck even in thick grass. Diesel it is IMHO. :thumbsup:

/ Gas or Diesel #3  
I am considering a X700. Going today for a test drive to see how they handle on and across slopes. 4-whd but no 4-wheel steering.

Below is my post on this. It will give you an idea of the fuel savings, present value (PV) of what your money is worth (US dollars) in 5 to 20 years and years to break even with a gas and a diesel engine. Based on my calculations with those set of variables and burning 55 to 70 gallons a year in fuel, the gas will be cheaper in the short term (5 to10 years), but if you keep the tractor for 15 to 20 years, the diesel will win out. However, the more fuel you burn a year, the better the diesel option becomes. I personally only burn about 55 gallons a year in fuel to cut the small areas of the lawn, but I still went with the diesel engine. My lawn can get very thick and wet in areas were the additional torque is needed. Hope this helps a little.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-buying-pricing/269681-diesel-vs-gas-x700-series.html

/ Gas or Diesel #4  
I say forget the bean counting BS.

In this size of a machine, diesel is the best option. For a garden tractor these are heavy machines. Gas powered X7's drink fuel like a fish drinks water. While opting for a diesel version will increase your payment only slightly ($20 a month probably) you will notice the difference immediately. Resale value on a diesel is higher, regardless of whether you keep the machine short term or long term, the diesel WILL pay for itself.

Add EVERYTHING into the equation. Those who have calculated the fuel cost savings forget some important details. The more often you have to get fuel, gas, in this case, your spending money to get it. You have to get into your personal vehicle, drive to the gas station, buy the fuel, and return home. With a gas tractor, these trips will be VERY FREQUENT. Now, with a diesel X7, not only are you saving money on operating costs, but you will make very few trips to get diesel fuel. Saving wear and tear on your personal vehicle, saving you fuel in that vehicle, and giving you more time to accomplish useful things instead of making trips to the gas station.

Gas engines require more maintenance, such as spark plugs, on a regular basis. The diesel Yanmar engines are almost maintenance free besides oil changes and fuel filter changes. Besides that, you turn the key, and you go to work.

Once you go over the 20HP mark, and you get into the 1,000 + LB range, diesel is the only way to go. Gas engines will bog down in heavy thick grass. Diesel engines say "what's that?...did you feel something?...must have been a mosquito"

Please, do yourself a favor, and get a diesel engine. In this day and age, EVERYTHING should be diesel. They are extremely efficient, last forever, have gobs of power, and sip fuel.

/ Gas or Diesel #5  
I just got the JD x758 AWD. Traded a gas 22 horse JD135 automatic on it. 1.5 acre yard with hill, on and off a slight bank. The 135 used about 3 gallon. The new JD X758. Needle didn't move. Darn happy with that. Its one fine machine.

/ Gas or Diesel #6  

Diesel is better. Also get a set of HDAP tires for your slopes.

/ Gas or Diesel #7  
I have an X728 gas and it does everything I have ever asked it to do without any loss of power. But JD tank is right that if you are going to finance the machine and you have a chance to get the diesel I would for sure. I bought myX728 at the end of the season and the dealer who had the machine on the show room floor made me an offer I could not resist so I took It. And I am happy with it no regrets. Although the tractor does eat fuel like my brother-in-law eating at a free buffet. I have thought of getting the new 1026 but I really love the X series tractors.

/ Gas or Diesel #8  

A 2wd x7 will do outstanding on cross slopes. It will blow your mind how well and a 4wd only better. My preference is diesel no doubt, and 2wd with bar tires suits me well.

They didn't have 4wd when I bought my 455...

/ Gas or Diesel #9  
A 2wd x7 will do outstanding on cross slopes. It will blow your mind how well and a 4wd only better. My preference is diesel no doubt, and 2wd with bar tires suits me well.

They didn't have 4wd when I bought my 455...

I can testify to the amazing capabilities of the 2WD X7 series.

When I bought my X740 I was a little concerned about traction. I really have no use for AWD, and money was tight, but I knew I wanted a diesel. I scooped up the last X740 around and took my chances. All I can say is WOW! I have turf tires on my machine, which are not good for digging in and giving traction. This thing STILL pulls like a plow horse. The traction for a 2WD unit is nothing short of amazing.

The upside to the 2WD units is much easier transaxle maintenance. No bleeding air from the front axle and no jacking up the tractor to change the hydro oil. It boils down to less ownership cost if you truly do not need the AWD. When it comes time for me to start using the 54'' blade, I will have to compensate for traction with chains and weights. Still, it works great!

/ Gas or Diesel #10  

Pete6114, I would say that it all depends on your property's terrain. My property is hilly and I can not tell you how many times I needed my 4wd even when just mowing. ( even with 70 lbs weights on each rear wheel) Also I have some areas that are wet and when I am pulling my manure cart to my compost pile the 4wd pulls me right through.

In short if your budget allows you get the 4wd and diesel you will be glad you did!

image-3264095383.jpg

image-3157518999.jpg