X495 All Wheel Steering reliability?

/ X495 All Wheel Steering reliability? #1  

Deadman

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, X475
John Deere All Wheel Steering reliability?

I'm looking for a JD X495, and I'm torn between the All Wheel Steering model and the traditional front steering model.

Is the AWS reliable? I'm sure some of you must have a lot of hours on them by now! :)
Is it durable for some reasonable towing, pulling, etc, or should you not strain the AWS model like you can the solid rear axle model? (I have a 2520 for all the heavy work, so it won't be getting abused)

I'm planning on using it mostly for mowing and I have some real steep side hills that i will need to mow and I'm wondering how the AWS works on the sidehills? I'm afraid as you turn into the hill, the rear tire will point downhill, but then again maybe that will help? hmmmm?

What maintenance is required of the AWS? Grease the U joints, etc?

Any other input on the good or bad things about the AWS, or the X495 in general are all welcome, as one can never have too much info while shopping! Since we are on the topic, what should a low hour x495 cost with a 62 inch deck in great condition?

Thanks in advance! :drink:

Last edited:
   / X495 All Wheel Steering reliability? #2  
Actually the AWS components are simple and durable, I wouldn't fret over it at all.

/ X495 All Wheel Steering reliability? #3  
I have an older 425 AWS, ~1200 hours. Only maintenance is greasing at the pivot and ujoints (3 total zerks). Love AWS and will never go back, at least not while on this property. Great for turning on hills and snow plowing too. Cons: ground clearance, no loader capability. If these don't matter and you have a lot of stuff to mow around, AWS is the way to go.

/ X495 All Wheel Steering reliability?
I really don't have a lot of stuff to mow around, but there is just something about the quick turn-around and manuverability I really like about this AWS! I don't need ground clearance, so thats minor. Does the AWS make taking the mower deck off harder?

I really like the AWS and hope to find a nice used x495 AWS!

/ X495 All Wheel Steering reliability? #5  
No issues with deck removal