X300 Transmission noise

/ X300 Transmission noise #1  

topstoy

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2520 / Kubota KX121-3
My transmission is starting to make a load howl or pully wine, or somewhere inbetween. Yet it still has plenty of power and not slipping at all. Is this an early sign of the classic transmission failure of the K46 or something different? I am guessing that it is on the way out and just a matter of time before it fails. Hopefully it will last until fall. Really need it to last all summer as I mow every 4-5 days. Thanks

/ X300 Transmission noise #2  
I don't think you will make it.

/ X300 Transmission noise #3  
My transmission is starting to make a load howl or pully wine, or somewhere inbetween. Yet it still has plenty of power and not slipping at all. Is this an early sign of the classic transmission failure of the K46 or something different? I am guessing that it is on the way out and just a matter of time before it fails. Hopefully it will last until fall. Really need it to last all summer as I mow every 4-5 days. Thanks

If it is internal noise, then you may be able to extend its life a bit by upgrading to 5W50 synthetic, if you haven't already. Since you have to pull the transmission to change the oil, I'd open the case and at least change the filter, clean the magnets and add drain plugs. With a bit of maintenance, you may get a few more seasons out of it before it has to be rebuilt.