North Eastern Pennsylvania, Lehigh Valley
    Tractor
    John Deere 2305

Default STX 38 Only Starts when carb is primed...brakes ineffective.

Hi,

This little workhorse starts fine when priming the carb and will restart well during the same day. It the mower sits for a day or two, the only way to get it to start is to prime the carb. When first running it does not idle well and surges up and down. After warm up or under mowing load, it runs fine. but will not run an slow idle.

It is a Kohler engine. Also, I guess I need to look at the brake system since they are really not effective on my hilly property.

Any suggestions?
    Geezer Cowboy

JD 2305 with 62" MMM, CX200 FEL and Ballast box, IMatch, Frontier RC 2048 Brush Hog, Gator CX with 10P Cart, STX38 Black Deck Mower, ABI Arena Rascal Pro, 60" Three Point Hitch Grader Blade, Horst LD35JD440 Pallet Forks, ABI LR60 Landscape Rake, Ridgid RD 6800 Portable generator and transfer switch.

I've had one do this to me before, sounds like you're engine isn't getting the amount of fuel it needs. Mine had a lagging fuel pump, so I replaced it And re adjusted the fuel air mixture on the carb and it ran fine.

North Eastern Pennsylvania, Lehigh Valley
    Tractor
    John Deere 2305

Default Re: STX 38 Only Starts when carb is primed...brakes ineffective.

I may try to remove and clean the carb.
    Geezer Cowboy

JD 2305 with 62" MMM, CX200 FEL and Ballast box, IMatch, Frontier RC 2048 Brush Hog, Gator CX with 10P Cart, STX38 Black Deck Mower, ABI Arena Rascal Pro, 60" Three Point Hitch Grader Blade, Horst LD35JD440 Pallet Forks, ABI LR60 Landscape Rake, Ridgid RD 6800 Portable generator and transfer switch.

Tractor
    2210, 355D, 1950 Model B

Default Re: STX 38 Only Starts when carb is primed...brakes ineffective.

To fix the brakes, look below the frame near the right rear wheel for a lock nut on a horizontal shaft pointing towards the RR wheel, it is what tightens the brake puck.....the locking nut has a tendency to back off over time as you cycle the brake pedal, and it needs to be tighened back up. A replacement lock nut or lock-tight might be needed. This is a pretty common issue on the STX machines, but easily remedied. That being said, the brakes are not that strong and are easily over-powered by the engine, so if you don't push in the clutch, it will just keep on going.......
    Fred G
    2210/FEL/62C, 355D/54C