Best way to add weight.

/ Best way to add weight. #1  

JDTank

Platinum Member
Debating on which way is the best and potentially cheapest to add weight to the rear of my X740 for blade work.

Wheel weights, or click-n-go weight bracket? The upside to the wheel weights is it requires no click-n-go bracket, and no weight bracket. Those alone amount to almost $300 in needed items before you can add 1 weight to the machine. However, I do not know what the wheel weights usually sell for.

The downside I see to wheel weights is if your by yourself, I can see them being very difficult to install. Trying to hold a 72 pound piece of iron up while lining up bolt holes is not easy!

So, what do you folks suggest?

/ Best way to add weight. #2  
Although my old tractor wasn't as big as yours, it was still a garden tractor. I had a 325. I had 2 50 pound wheel weights and 5 40 pound rear suitcase weights. All that and combined with my 230-240 pound self really planted the tractor down. I also used chains when doing dirt work with blade. That thing was a real tank. Did not have diff lock like yours either. I would find a way to muscle on the wheel weights and leave them on indefinitely. I never took mine off. I would also just fill those 2 buckets you have with mixed concrete for weight. Your tractor should be one **** of a powerful dirt pusher.

/ Best way to add weight. #3  
Have you considered loading your tires?

/ Best way to add weight. #4  
Best way to add weight.

Dunkin Doughnut's and Pizza Hut :)

Try loading your tires with just plain water. You can just drain it to the lawn if it doesn't work for you. Or add antifreeze for the winter if you like it.

Several threads here and some peeps just jury rig a garden hose to the valve.

/ Best way to add weight. #5  
I loaded my rears with a mixture of anti-freeze and water. Gained 80lbs per tire. Makes it much more stable when mowing as well.

John Deere weights will cost you at least $1 per pound. And once you put them on, you'll never take them off.

Here's a link to a Google search for ballast weight chart that will tell you how much weight you can gain by filling the tires and discuss various methods and materials used.

tractor tire ballast chart - Google Search

/ Best way to add weight. #6  
I would go with the rear weight bracket.... For 2 reasons:
1) The weight will be behind the rear axle, counteracting the weight of the blade better, and unloading the front axle.
2) You can easily remove them. If I recall, you said it is very wet in your location. I don't think you want the extra weight when you are mowing.

If you buy suitcase weights, you can use them in front also, when you are using rear implements.

/ Best way to add weight. #7  
Foaming my tires added a lot of weight and I never get flat tires.

I bolted a brake drum off of an semi onto my tractor and filled it with chunks of broken concrete.

I've filled five gallon buckets with dirt for temporary weight

Eddie

/ Best way to add weight. #8  
Foaming my tires added a lot of weight and I never get flat tires.

I bolted a brake drum off of an semi onto my tractor and filled it with chunks of broken concrete.

I've filled five gallon buckets with dirt for temporary weight

Eddie

Gotta do what ya gotta do, right Eddie!!!

/ Best way to add weight. #9  
I would recommend removable weights at any rate. When mowing which is the primary use it is better to be light as possible.

/ Best way to add weight. #10  
Dunkin Doughnut's and Pizza Hut :)

Try loading your tires with just plain water. You can just drain it to the lawn if it doesn't work for you. Or add antifreeze for the winter if you like it.

Several threads here and some peeps just jury rig a garden hose to the valve.

I would recommend removable weights at any rate. When mowing which is the primary use it is better to be light as possible.
Yup. Water. Free. Easy to vary weight.
larry