Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Best way to add weight.

Debating on which way is the best and potentially cheapest to add weight to the rear of my X740 for blade work.

Wheel weights, or click-n-go weight bracket? The upside to the wheel weights is it requires no click-n-go bracket, and no weight bracket. Those alone amount to almost $300 in needed items before you can add 1 weight to the machine. However, I do not know what the wheel weights usually sell for.

The downside I see to wheel weights is if your by yourself, I can see them being very difficult to install. Trying to hold a 72 pound piece of iron up while lining up bolt holes is not easy!

So, what do you folks suggest?
    2012 John Deere X740
    #18 Steel cart.
    Front fender kit.
    Brush guard.
    SE seat.

Tractor
    2012 JD 3520 Cab 1996 JD LX172 1985 Wheel Horse

Default Re: Best way to add weight.

Although my old tractor wasn't as big as yours, it was still a garden tractor. I had a 325. I had 2 50 pound wheel weights and 5 40 pound rear suitcase weights. All that and combined with my 230-240 pound self really planted the tractor down. I also used chains when doing dirt work with blade. That thing was a real tank. Did not have diff lock like yours either. I would find a way to muscle on the wheel weights and leave them on indefinitely. I never took mine off. I would also just fill those 2 buckets you have with mixed concrete for weight. Your tractor should be one **** of a powerful dirt pusher.
    Tractorbynet.com

Tractor
    JD 2520 & X740

Have you considered loading your tires?
    JD 2520; 53" FEL; SS1067B Spreader; BB2060 Box Blade; 54" Front Mount Blower; iMatch; Ken's Grab Hooks; Front and Back Lighting Kit; Artillian Forks; Artillian Worklight Horse Blinders; Artillian Caster Carts; BX42 Chipper; X7XX seat and suspension

X740; 60" Mower; Brush guard; Brinley dethatcher; 920 lb Ohio Steel roller; aerator; JD suitcase weights; 25 gallon JD sprayer, Brinley 17P cart; Quik-tatch; custom hazard lights

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

Best way to add weight.
    Dunkin Doughnut's and Pizza Hut

Try loading your tires with just plain water. You can just drain it to the lawn if it doesn't work for you. Or add antifreeze for the winter if you like it.

Several threads here and some peeps just jury rig a garden hose to the valve.
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller, 5' Big Bee cutter, with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all
    My saws - JD CS 62, efco 3500, Stihls - 021, 660 w/woods mod, 660 w/ DP muffler, 088, Woodmizer LT10

Tractor
    Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, JD2210

I loaded my rears with a mixture of anti-freeze and water. Gained 80lbs per tire. Makes it much more stable when mowing as well.

John Deere weights will cost you at least $1 per pound. And once you put them on, you'll never take them off.

Here's a link to a Google search for ballast weight chart that will tell you how much weight you can gain by filling the tires and discuss various methods and materials used.

tractor tire ballast chart - Google Search
    Richard

"Happiness isn't having everything you want, it's wanting everything you have."

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 4720, JD X748SE, JD 997, Farmall "B"

I would go with the rear weight bracket.... For 2 reasons:
    1) The weight will be behind the rear axle, counteracting the weight of the blade better, and unloading the front axle.
    2) You can easily remove them. If I recall, you said it is very wet in your location. I don't think you want the extra weight when you are mowing.

If you buy suitcase weights, you can use them in front also, when you are using rear implements.

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Foaming my tires added a lot of weight and I never get flat tires.

I bolted a brake drum off of an semi onto my tractor and filled it with chunks of broken concrete.

I've filled five gallon buckets with dirt for temporary weight

Eddie

Tractor
    Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, JD2210

Quote Originally Posted by EddieWalker View Post
    Foaming my tires added a lot of weight and I never get flat tires.

I bolted a brake drum off of an semi onto my tractor and filled it with chunks of broken concrete.

I've filled five gallon buckets with dirt for temporary weight

Eddie
    Gotta do what ya gotta do, right Eddie!!!
    Richard

"Happiness isn't having everything you want, it's wanting everything you have."

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, x758, L130

I would recommend removable weights at any rate. When mowing which is the primary use it is better to be light as possible.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by newbury View Post
    Dunkin Doughnut's and Pizza Hut

Try loading your tires with just plain water. You can just drain it to the lawn if it doesn't work for you. Or add antifreeze for the winter if you like it.

Several threads here and some peeps just jury rig a garden hose to the valve.
    Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    I would recommend removable weights at any rate. When mowing which is the primary use it is better to be light as possible.
    Yup. Water. Free. Easy to vary weight.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast