JD 420 Rebuild

/ JD 420 Rebuild #1  

JDKiotiboys3

Tractor
Kioti LK3054,John Deere 420 L&G
I'm thinking about rebuilding the B-Series engine in the 1984 420. I'm not a mechanic. Anyone have a rough estimate on the cost of the rebuild? Anyone in the area of Mooresville IN that would be interested in doing it? Ha Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ JD 420 Rebuild #2  
Anyone have a rough estimate on the cost of the rebuild?

I suspect it's an Onan engine. The cost might be more than the mower is worth.
I know some of the JD engines are terribly expensive to buy parts for, and with labor it gets ridiculous.

If you can find the engine part/serial number, Google it and see what pops up.
A place called partstree sells some replacement engines.

If you could get REAL lucky you might find a used engine off a mower that has been parted out.

/ JD 420 Rebuild
Hey thanks. It is the original B series Onan engine

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ JD 420 Rebuild #4  
If your intending on keeping the 420 I would look at what could substitute for the Onan. They were good in their day but expensive and scarse parts make them problematic.
I wouldn't buy one just for that reason. There are too many Yanmars around that seem to last forever with proper maint.

/ JD 420 Rebuild #5  
Neighbor short blocked his 420 a few years ago and not cheap, there are companies doing a repower kit with a Briggs or Honda engine $1750-$2100 range, I told him he should of went with the 430 it would still be going. Only reason he keeps it is the huge bagger otherwise his Kubota BXs are more powerful.

David Kb7uns

/ JD 420 Rebuild #6  
Smallenginewarehouse.com. They sell a lot of repower kits for older deere mowers and their based out of Indiana.

/ JD 420 Rebuild #7  
I am in the process of putting a Honda GX690 in mine, less wiring and headaches than the old Onans. I got mine from SEW as well.

/ JD 420 Rebuild #8  
Just purchased the Briggs and straton vanguard kit for small engine warehouse. It seems to run well. But less than pleased with the install kit. The PTO spacers were not even close to the right size and the throttle cable was way off also. The engine has alot more power than the original Onan but as for the longevity of its life span I can't see it lasting 25 years as the original Onan did. Had any one else had any similar experience with this kit. Thanks

/ JD 420 Rebuild #9  
JD420 A bunch of the Onan engines didn't make it twenty-five years. Take care of the vanguard, keep it clean and oiled and don't worry about it. Enjoy more power on less gas and more importantly LESS NOISE. Let us know when it kicks off. You will have to admit you were wrong if it does last for 25.

/ JD 420 Rebuild #10  
Hopefully you are right and it last a long time. I'm a stickler for good maintenance. Can't stand to see nice equipment or vehicles not taken care of. I haven't found it to be much more fuel efficient though. But I also mow a bit faster due to plenty of power to spare. The old onan was very tired and with a wasted cam bearing it was also put of time. But can't complain with 1900 hrs on the clock I would be worn out also.