John Deere 318 Starter wiring issues

/ John Deere 318 Starter wiring issues #1  

Bret Weymouth

Tractor
John Deere 318
I have a John Deere 318 with the Onan motor. The starter went out last year when I installed a new battery. The windings must have went to ground on the starter. Everytime I hooked the battery up it would pop becauce the started was grounded out. A year later last weekend I pulled the motor and installed the new starter and new battery. Last year I pulled the solinoide and do not remeber how the wires go back. I have a red and when I check it with a voltage meter it goes to ground. I have a purple and when I turn the key it goes to ground. Then I have a white wire that is a ground. All three of these wires are light gauges wires that have boots on them and slide over the solinoide post and there is a 25 amp circuit breaker that goes right next to the solinoide with 2 post. Seems like I am miising a wire and can not find it. I also bought a new solenoide and ignition switch today. NO luck.

/ John Deere 318 Starter wiring issues #2  
Welcome to TractorByNet.

/ John Deere 318 Starter wiring issues #3  
:welcome:

/ John Deere 318 Starter wiring issues #4  
Welcome to TractorByNet!

I moved your thread to the John Deere Lawn & Garden forum. :)

/ John Deere 318 Starter wiring issues
Picture of enginer wires 1.jpg

I cut open the wiring harness looking for a melted wiringing issues causing the ground. Everything was fine. I traced the ground off of the red wire back to the green wire that attaches to the mulex plug and all the wires go white. The ground seems to be in the center wire that goes to the silver thing I would have to assume is part of the ignition. So replace this part? Any help would be appriciated.

View attachment 322675

I cut open the wiring harness looking for a melted wiringing issues. Everything was fine. I traced the ground off of the red wire back to the green wire that attaches to the mulex plug and all the wires go white. The ground seems to be in the center wire that goes to the silver thing I would have to assume is part of the ignition. So replace this part? Any help would be appriciated.

/ John Deere 318 Starter wiring issues #7  
I have been chasing wire problems on my 318 for a while. The 20+ year old safety switches and the wire connections are a pain. I assume (I know and it's true) you have the B model Onan vs the later P model?
You have confused me around the solenoid. There should be a heavy red wire from the battery to one post a light weight wire will leave this post and go to the circuit breaker. Another heavy wire will leave the other solenoid post and go to the starter. A light weight purple wire goes to the center of the solenoid.
The silver thing in your picture with the 3 white wires is the voltage regulator.
This is about the limit of my wire knowledge,

Thanks guys. finallly figured it out the stater went bad creating a ground. Replaced it and mowed the porperty this weekend. The 318 is a work horse once you get it going.