Went With an X310

/ Went With an X310 #1  

Milo

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3520, Ferris Z2100, Kawasaki Mule Pro MX, Honda Pioneer 520
In the market for a small riding mower so I looked at a Kubota T series, since I am 100% pleased with my Kubota B7500 which is used at a different location. To be honest I wasn't impressed with the specs or how it felt and drove. The closest Kubota dealer won't even sell them. I previously had (and sold) a Cub 2000 series (2084?) which came with a ground contact deck adjustable from 1-4" cut. Only problem is you couldn't lower the wheels to achieve a 4" cut because there wasn't enough clearance between the top of the deck and bottom of the tractor. I often mow at 3.5" which left less than 1/2" clearance on level ground. With any kind of bump the deck crashed up into the tractor. Forget about riding over the sidewalk which is lower than the top of the grass (but barely higher than the ground) w/o stopping and raising the wheels up. The dealer just shrugged and said "that's the way Cub made it." That took Cub off my list this time.
42" deck is perfect and I wanted a 2 cylinder so studying John Deere's site it was between a D140, X300, or X310. I just liked how the X series was built and little features like a nicer seat, larger gas tank, heavier gauge deck and frame, and Kawasaki's nice 600cc V-Twin over the slightly larger B&S. The X300 also steered much easier and smoother than the D140. Then I tried the 310 with it's power steering which (while not necessary) is really nice. The transmission also seemed smoother operating going forward and reverse. I later found out here it's a different, and one step heavier, transmission.
I wanted a bagger as well for fall leaf clean-up at both properties. I had looked at adding a bagger to my B7500 but they said that width mower needs a power bagger which was quite expensive. So I took the money I'd spend on a power bagging rig and added it to what I'd spend on a D140 and went with the X310. How's that for logic?:D
Got it home and barely started riding when the wife wanted to try it. After about 5 minutes she wouldn't give it back and has now claimed it. :-(

/ Went With an X310 #2  
Got it home and barely started riding when the wife wanted to try it. After about 5 minutes she wouldn't give it back and has now claimed it. :-(

Congrats on your new toy - sorry - your DW's new toy. If I thought that would work for me, I'd buy a X310 in a heartbeat!!

/ Went With an X310
Thanks! LOL she said I can trim and she'll do the riding.

/ Went With an X310 #4  
Milo;
Congradulations pleasing your wife but sorry to hear that you lost your tractor to her. It happened to me last year. My old Snapper died in the middle of the yard and for three weeks we mowed an acre with a Sears push mower. I purchased a JD x720 to replace the Snapper and had to wait for it to be delivered. I asked if she would like to try it by mowing the back yard. She finished the back yard and then went on to finish the front yard. She loved it. Even got the pink owner's hat. These JD tractors turn our sweet wifes into monsters!

/ Went With an X310
Milo;
...These JD tractors turn our sweet wifes into monsters!

Indeed! I guess there'll be the occasional time when she's away to look forward to.

/ Went With an X310 #6  
Congtrats on your wife's new 310, I've had mine since mid May and no regrets, the 310 is a great mower in my opinion.

/ Went With an X310
Thanks, Teddy. Our mower was a little out of level so I corrected that which is easy to do. So far I'm very pleased with the cut even w/o having the rear anti-scalp wheels. I think it'd be nice to add them somehow. The over sensitive seat switch, and the stupid switch that needs held up in order to back up with the mower on, have been remedied.

/ Went With an X310 #8  
Milo, how did you handle the seat and back up switch? I'd be interested in doing the same thing with mine.

/ Went With an X310 #9  
In the market for a small riding mower so I looked at a Kubota T series, since I am 100% pleased with my Kubota B7500 which is used at a different location. To be honest I wasn't impressed with the specs or how it felt and drove. The closest Kubota dealer won't even sell them. I previously had (and sold) a Cub 2000 series (2084?) which came with a ground contact deck adjustable from 1-4" cut. Only problem is you couldn't lower the wheels to achieve a 4" cut because there wasn't enough clearance between the top of the deck and bottom of the tractor. I often mow at 3.5" which left less than 1/2" clearance on level ground. With any kind of bump the deck crashed up into the tractor. Forget about riding over the sidewalk which is lower than the top of the grass (but barely higher than the ground) w/o stopping and raising the wheels up. The dealer just shrugged and said "that's the way Cub made it." That took Cub off my list this time.
42" deck is perfect and I wanted a 2 cylinder so studying John Deere's site it was between a D140, X300, or X310. I just liked how the X series was built and little features like a nicer seat, larger gas tank, heavier gauge deck and frame, and Kawasaki's nice 600cc V-Twin over the slightly larger B&S. The X300 also steered much easier and smoother than the D140. Then I tried the 310 with it's power steering which (while not necessary) is really nice. The transmission also seemed smoother operating going forward and reverse. I later found out here it's a different, and one step heavier, transmission.
I wanted a bagger as well for fall leaf clean-up at both properties. I had looked at adding a bagger to my B7500 but they said that width mower needs a power bagger which was quite expensive. So I took the money I'd spend on a power bagging rig and added it to what I'd spend on a D140 and went with the X310. How's that for logic?:D

I own a Cub Cadet 2084. One of the best mowers I have ever owned. The only problem experienced with the unit was the infamous Cub Cadet "Click" when attempting to start. The installation of a relay solved that problem. I have the 54 inch deck on mine.

Mine is not a ground contact unit. The wheels on the deck are anti-scalp wheels. My 2084 has a cutting depth indicator on the top left of the center console. The mowing height is adjusted by a lever on the rear of the unit. lower the deck to the correct mowing height and then screw in the adjusting lever on the rear of the unit. I have always had the unit set to mow at 3.5 inches.

The hydraulic deck lift allows for infinite adjustment of the mowing cutting height. The unit will mow up to 8 inches. The reason I still have the unit is everything still works fine and I only recently replaced the drive belt for the deck and I purchased the unit in 1993. It is an excellent mower to mow the sides of the road with.

/ Went With an X310
Milo, how did you handle the seat and back up switch? I'd be interested in doing the same thing with mine.

This YouTube shows how pretty well. The seat mod is simple just separate the plug and add a jumper.

For the mow in reverse mod I found it's best to pull the plug out for easier access. You leave the existing wires all connected then you *add* a jumper wire between the back terminals as shown in the video. It's a tight fit but the spade connectors of your jumper will piggy back into the same slots.

John Deere X500 Safety Disable - YouTube