L 120 Motor will not turn

/ L 120 Motor will not turn #1  

chetlukas

Tractor
john deere L 120
Hello : I have a L120 maybe 9 years old. Earlier in the week when I turn the key the starter fights to move any.. Took the top off motor, removed spark plugs and rotated/freed the motor. Next day or so, fuse blew when my son tried cutting.. Changed fuse started right up.. He thought he smelled something.. Now the fuse blew again starter can not turn fly wheel.. I took cover off removed spark plugs and tried to rotate the motor with out any luck.. Belt is off.. Right before it died ,, the PTo wouldn't engage but seemed like it did if I pressed the reverse switch.. Would a bad PTO seize the motor??

Thanks for your help

Chet

/ L 120 Motor will not turn #2  
PTO clutches do "sieze up" but I have not had this happen to me yet. It would seem that this could keep the engine attached to the deck and might appear to have the engine locked down.
Maybe someone else will confirm this.

/ L 120 Motor will not turn #3  
The PTO bearings do seize up, usually there is a smell of burning rubber from the seals and then a heck of a rattle when it bends and rips free of the holding bracket and tears out the wiring harness. There is someone on e-bay selling a better, clutch with a repair wire harness for less than the JD Part

/ L 120 Motor will not turn #4  
The PTO bearings do seize up, usually there is a smell of burning rubber from the seals and then a heck of a rattle when it bends and rips free of the holding bracket and tears out the wiring harness.

So you are saying this seizes the engine shaft to the frame! Well that for sure could seem to lock the engine down:shocked:

/ L 120 Motor will not turn #5  
So you are saying this seizes the engine shaft to the frame! Well that for sure could seem to lock the engine down:shocked:

If the bearing are starting to go bad it will put a drag on the engine because the clutch is being held by the bracket attached to the frame. When the top bearing (usually the one that goes bad) does completely seize, the clutch will then tear itself loose from the bracket and wrap the wire harness around the clutch and crankshaft.

The bearings can be replaced but the Clutch/PTO coil may have been overheated and not have much if any life left in it.

Here is a thread with some good info too.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...n/283779-la140-w-intermittent-pto-melted.html