New X310 Now Won't Start

/ New X310 Now Won't Start #1  

Milo

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3520, Ferris Z2100, Kawasaki Mule Pro MX, Honda Pioneer 520
Darn, I never even got to use it yet. It only has 1 1/2 hours on it, the wife mowed once with it. She said it backfired once in a while and once stopped running, but it started back up and she was able to finish. When I just started it it ran rough for a couple seconds (like the choke was left on but it wasn't) then backfired a couple times and quit. Now the starter turns if over but no fire whatsoever. I pulled the plugs and they were wet with gas so I dried them off and left them out for 1/2 hour. I checked my jumper to the seat switch and mower back up switch and they are nice and tight but I removed them and re-connected the seat switch just in case. The brake switch and it's plug appear fine and the peddle depresses the button all the way when pressed.

So I put the plugs back in and tried again. Nothing, the starter spins the engine but it won't fire at all. I then went and bought new plugs which didn't make any difference. It seems to be getting gas but no spark at all. I checked every wire and plug I could and they are all tight. Called the dealer but they close Saturday afternoon. Any suggestions?

/ New X310 Now Won't Start #2  
I assume you checked the gas tank to be sure you are not out of gas.
Ken

/ New X310 Now Won't Start
LOL, good question but yeah. It was a bit under 1/2 full so I filled it before even starting it. The choke and throttle cables operate the carburetor levers freely and the plugs get wet with gas so I'm thinking it's missing spark. Of the safety switches I wonder if there is one which will allow the starter to crank the engine but not allow ignition? The brake interlock prevents the starter from engaging so it's probably not it. The seat switch might however it won't start with the seat switch connected or bypassed with a jumper. Fuses are OK. Oil level is good (in case it has a low oil level sensor). I'll call the dealer Monday.

/ New X310 Now Won't Start #4  
First, you are in warranty and if the dealer is nearby, you need to let them fix it. You could easily void your warranty.

Since you said the plugs were fuel fouled, I am assuming this is not a fuel cutoff solenoid issue.

The proper way to test is to pull the plugs, turn over the engine while grounding a plug against the block and see if you can visually see spark. Or use a spark tester. Check both plug wires.

If only one plug wire is dead, you have a bad coil, plug wire or a short in the grounding wire under the shroud between the two coils (unlikely).

If both are dead, it can be a bad interlock module, bad input to the interlock module, or the coil grounding wire is shorted.

If both plug wires are dead, disconnect the black coil grounding wire where it goes into the engine (near voltage regulator on right rear side of engine as viewed from driving position). There is a little single male/female connector just before it enters the shroud. In theory you could start the engine if something further up the chain is bad, but only the fuel cutoff solenoid could stop the motor at that point and I don't recommend it.

If you open the coil grounding wire, remove both plugs to prevent starting and turn ignition to start position. You should see spark. If you don't see spark, the problem is inside the engine. Sheared flywheel key is a possibility as well as coil or wire issues. Flywheel key might explain backfiring as ignition timing would vary after the key breaks. If flywheel slips you likely will see spark as the wheel would likely still rotate. The timing could be so bad it won't hit at all, but you would see spark as the magnets in the flywheel would trigger an out of time spark.

If not in the engine, it could be any number of switches, wires in the harness or the (likely) interlock module. Both the coil ground and the fuel cutoff solenoid wire originate from the interlock module. It needs a schematic to troubleshoot. Let the dealer do it.

One more bit: If not caused by timing, backfiring can be caused by a hot engine running lean. Often an intake air leak. This wouldn't have an affect on spark unless the backfire broke the flywheel key.

Last edited:
Thanks Voyager6. The dealer is maybe 60 miles away but I think I'll just let them deal with it. Hopefully they can quickly get to it, diagnose the problem, and repair it.

/ New X310 Now Won't Start #6  
Thanks Voyager6. The dealer is maybe 60 miles away but I think I'll just let them deal with it. Hopefully they can quickly get to it, diagnose the problem, and repair it.

That's the way it is with JD dealers. Unfortunately, equipment dealers are not thick as flies like car dealers. It's always a pain to take back a new piece of equipment. We expect to buy something new and have many trouble-free hours of service. It's a blow to our confidence when that new equipment is unreliable. It can happen on any brand, but that still doesn't help when you have to lug it back to the dealer. It surely affects your faith in your equipment.

/ New X310 Now Won't Start #7  
If something broke after only 1.5 hours I would come home with another mower.

Call them asap about what has happened and tell them you want another one.

If something broke after only 1.5 hours I would come home with another mower.

Call them asap about what has happened and tell them you want another one.

I know what you're saying and if it's something serious like a cracked engine block I will. Not sure it'd be reasonable to demand a new tractor because something like a safety switch malfunctioned. At this point who knows what's keeping it from starting, but I'll find out and will post back when I do.

/ New X310 Now Won't Start #9  
Milo, I know you mentioned in another thread that you had disabled the safety engine cutoff for the seat, I wonder if whatever you did came undone and that is the cause of your problem. Check under the seat and see if the jumper wire you installed came loose or something like that. I'll bet it's something simple like that that is causing the problem.

/ New X310 Now Won't Start #10  
It only has 1 1/2 hours on it, the wife mowed once with it. She said it backfired once in a while and once stopped running, but it started back up and she was able to finish. When I just started it it ran rough for a couple seconds (like the choke was left on but it wasn't) then backfired a couple times and quit.

Put the seat switch back the way it was before returning it, They might want to void the warranty if this turns out to be related...