Tractor
    TBD

Default Recommendation on lx 178

Hi there

I own a 1994 LX 178 and trying to decide what to with it. I bought it used 3 seasons ago for $1,000 dollars. Probably paid too much. Spent some money on new belts, plugs etc...The hood finally broke such that it is unusable. Looking at picking up a new hood and it looks like i will be $400+. Steep for sure...Trying to decide if I should invest anymore $$$ in the tractor or if I should just get rid of it and get something new(er). I have about 23,000 sq ft of bermuda in the Atlanta area. My backyard is the majority of that 23K sq ft. and has significant slope. I just started reel mowing the yard this season with a pro-mow flex 58 3 gang reel mower. I think it weighs around 200lbs.

I know the lx 178 has a better transaxle (k61?) than most lawn tractors which is one of the reasons I picked it up with big hill in the back.

The tractor seems to run ok, but I am not an expert by any means.

Question is: What would be comparable new tractor? I think x300 has the k46. Is that sufficient for towing my pro-mow on significant incline. Or am I better off just spending money to maintain the lx178.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    LX188/445/755

Default Re: Recommendation on lx 178

Quote Originally Posted by rwrose View Post
    .. Or am I better off just spending money to maintain the lx178.
    I would fix it, if the deck and engine are in good condition.
    However I am bad to spend more on a mower then it would ever be worth.

IF you can do the repairs yourself this is a big factor to consider because labor costs on old mowers get nasty.

From all I read you have to go to the 310 or 320 and then you may not like these as well as the older series.
    You can do a lot of repairs for $4000, but some folks will not have a mower that leaks a tad of oil on the concrete etc....
    It just depends on your comfort level with an older machine, that will indeed need to be worked on.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400 (gear driven)

LX178 is an excellent machine. I would keep it as long as it runs well. $1000 isn't too much around here. Where are you located? I'll take it if you don't want it if you are anywhere near me.

Tractor
    JD LX178

Hey, my 1995 LX178 is fantastic. Like you I bought mine four years ago for $800. I fixed a leaky valve cover gasket, and later a plugged carburetor - total parts about $20. If you can do repairs yourself run that LX178 as long as it will go. If you do the oil changes regularly it will go a long ways.

Interestingly, my dad, who has a late model LT160, thinks my LX178 is a hot rod, is much sturdier, and that its engine is much smoother and quieter.