JD Series 100 Model 145 Auto, Rear wheels do not engage

/ JD Series 100 Model 145 Auto, Rear wheels do not engage #1  

Deemer25

Tractor
John Deere Series 100 Model 145 Auto
I just replaced my drive belt and now only the front wheels move when I put it in gear. Have I put the belt on wrong since everything worked fine before?

/ JD Series 100 Model 145 Auto, Rear wheels do not engage #2  
Your first sentence is a little confusing, I don't understand what the front wheels have to do with this. No way to know how the belt is routed without a picture either. Did you check the tow bar at the back of the mower to make sure it is in the inward position?

/ JD Series 100 Model 145 Auto, Rear wheels do not engage
Sorry about the vague statement! Okay, this John Deere is a four wheel drive lawn tractor. It is able to accept other attachments but we only have the lawn mower deck. When my son and I replaced the drive belt, which goes from back to front, only the front axle has engaged. Now for some reason the back axle doesn't. I visited with my son today and he reminded me that the rear axle has only worked sporadically so it looks like this may involve more than just the drive belt perhaps. I hope this clarifies my question more clearly. Thank you for even taking the time to reply.

/ JD Series 100 Model 145 Auto, Rear wheels do not engage #4  
Deemer, can you post a picture? The model and series numbers don't equate to a high-end 4WD lawn tractor. The current 100 series are the least expensive John Deeres sold at box stores.

/ JD Series 100 Model 145 Auto, Rear wheels do not engage #5  
Deemer, can you post a picture? The model and series numbers don't equate to a high-end 4WD lawn tractor. The current 100 series are the least expensive John Deeres sold at box stores.

I should mention I checked with tractordata before responding just to make sure.

/ JD Series 100 Model 145 Auto, Rear wheels do not engage
I certainly did not mean to mislead anyone. Just trying to figure out a problem. I will get the model and series number for you. It still leaves me with a problem. The mower isn't moving. Is this a transmission problem then? Hey Dan, I am disabled, if you like, come on over and show me the problem. I am depending on the information my son tells me. It sounds he is really off base on this one but no need for the name calling buddy. Thanks for any info you can help me with on the repair.

/ JD Series 100 Model 145 Auto, Rear wheels do not engage #8  
Deemer,
Try to get the correct model number and pictures of the mower and belts if you can. We need more and better info to help you.

/ JD Series 100 Model 145 Auto, Rear wheels do not engage #9  
deemer it sounds like there has been trouble with the tractor for a bit. when you say that the
rear axle worked sporadically are you saying that the tractor would drive only part of the time?
or would it work for a while, then after it gets hot, it would stop moving? maybe we should
start at the beginning of your troubles and go from there, as you say, there may be bigger
problems than the belt.
since you did replace the belt, would you say that the old belt was very frayed, or looked to be in
very poor condition?
and lastly, when you and your son did the belt replacement, had you removed either of the rear
wheels from the tractor? if so, there is a piece of key stock that goes between the axle shaft and
wheel that sometimes gets overlooked, and this too will cause the tractor to not drive.(if not replaced correctly)

/ JD Series 100 Model 145 Auto, Rear wheels do not engage #10  
deemer it sounds like there has been trouble with the tractor for a bit. when you say that the
rear axle worked sporadically are you saying that the tractor would drive only part of the time?
or would it work for a while, then after it gets hot, it would stop moving? maybe we should
start at the beginning of your troubles and go from there, as you say, there may be bigger
problems than the belt.
since you did replace the belt, would you say that the old belt was very frayed, or looked to be in
very poor condition?
and lastly, when you and your son did the belt replacement, had you removed either of the rear
wheels from the tractor? if so, there is a piece of key stock that goes between the axle shaft and
wheel that sometimes gets overlooked, and this too will cause the tractor to not drive.(if not replaced correctly)

good thinking. that's what it sounds like to me. Even if you leave the key out on one side, the tractor wont go anywhere. The shaft will just spin in the wheel. Still doesn't explain how its 4wd however. he states its a "lawn tractor". If not, I wonder where he came up with 100 series and 145 auto. plus he says he replaced the "drive belt" and now wont go anywhere. Is there a 4wd john deere of any model that used a drive belt on a 4wd tractor???