X700 series hydraulics.

/ X700 series hydraulics. #1  

JDTank

Platinum Member
I have a 2012 X740. My hydraulic system is 924 PSI at 4.5 GPM. Does my tractor have enough hydraulic power to use this hydraulic cart?

Cub Cadet Parts

I am concerned that if I splurge and buy this cart, once I get it home and fill it full of gravel, that my hydraulics will not be strong enough to lift the loaded bed.

Thoughts?

/ X700 series hydraulics. #2  
That's a pretty big trailer. Full to the top with gravel would be quite heavy. But, I think you have enough hydraulics to use it effectively. You might have to only fill 3/4 full or so. It depends on the angle of the cylinder in relation to the load and pivot point. You can calculate the lift if you had the geometry of the trailer.

/ X700 series hydraulics.
That's a pretty big trailer. Full to the top with gravel would be quite heavy. But, I think you have enough hydraulics to use it effectively. You might have to only fill 3/4 full or so. It depends on the angle of the cylinder in relation to the load and pivot point. You can calculate the lift if you had the geometry of the trailer.

To be honest I am a little frustrated. I wish I had stronger hydraulics, but I guess I should be thankful I have any!

I was thinking about asking the builder to build me a slightly smaller trailer, same design. The problem with that is, he builds a lot of these, he knows the design. If I ask him to build me a custom one, I will have to pay for all of his time making a new design work well.

I can't tell you how frustrated I am with my #18 JD cart. The dump angle is a joke. Almost every time I dump the trailer and pull away, the load simply stays in the trailer. I try to jitter it out by pulsating the forward pedal in quick succession, but to no avail. Not only is that a PIA, it's hard on the hydro system too. It is also a PIA to get off the tractor, remove the tail gate, release the latch, get back on the tractor, drive around for an eternity trying to unload it, than get back off, reinstall the tail-gate, lock the latch, and than FINALLY get back on and go back.

I know I can't go on like this for much longer, I haul material almost everyday and I will be doing so for years to come. I need an efficient system.

/ X700 series hydraulics. #4  
You might inquire about having a larger diameter cylinder installed for a small upcharge. For an additional $50 they should be able to do this for you. If not you could change it out yourself if you need to.

You might inquire about having a larger diameter cylinder installed for a small upcharge. For an additional $50 they should be able to do this for you. If not you could change it out yourself if you need to.

Do you think gaining volume in the cylinder will help compensate for the lower pressure of the hydraulic system?

/ X700 series hydraulics. #6  
Do you think gaining volume in the cylinder will help compensate for the lower pressure of the hydraulic system?

Yes, if the piston area is increased the resulting force is increased. For example a 1.5 inch diameter cylinder will have an area of 1.77 sq inches x940 psi =1660 lbs of force. A 2.0 inch cylinder would have 3.14 sq inches x 940 psi= 2953 lbs of force. I should add that very few manufactures design equipment to work at the upper limits of system relief pressure, most operations on your mower including deck raising and 3ph would operate around 400 to 500 psi.

If you really like the cart I think I would try it as is and if you need to change the cylinder you can buy one from Surplus Hydraulics for a low cost.

Last edited:
Yes, if the piston area is increased the resulting force is increased. For example a 1.5 inch diameter cylinder will have an area of 1.77 sq inches x940 psi =1660 lbs of force. A 2.0 inch cylinger would have 3.14 sq inches x 940 psi= 2953 lbs of force. I should add that very few manufactures design equipment to work at the upper limits of system relief pressure, most operations on your mower including deck raising and 3ph would operate around 400 to 500 psi.

If you really like the cart I think I would try it as is and if you need to change the cylinder you can buy one from Surplus Hydraulics for a low cost.

Do you think 1/4'' line from my front hydraulic couplers to the rear of my tractor is sufficient for this setup?

Cub Cadet Dump Trailer - YouTube

Here is a video of an old cub machine doing a run up and down of the trailer. I would think my X740 has a quite a bit more hydraulic power than that old cub machine would. He is running it at a lower RPM too, not even full throttle. I know it is empty, but it still moves pretty fast considering.

/ X700 series hydraulics. #9  
JD, I think I would use the same size as the 45 loaders use, whatever that is.

/ X700 series hydraulics. #10  
Do you think 1/4'' line from my front hydraulic couplers to the rear of my tractor is sufficient for this setup?

1/4" line is fine.