JD 420 Steering Play

/ JD 420 Steering Play #1  

OutbackL130

Silver Member
Tractor
L130, 420
I just got my first tractor a 1984 JD 420 and in the process of restoring it so I have lots of questions to come! One thing I notice is play in the steering where the hydraulic cylinder attaches to the spindle. I'm wondering is there supposed to be a bushing inside that you can replace or do you have to replace the entire cylinder?

/ JD 420 Steering Play #2  
I just got my first tractor a 1984 JD 420 and in the process of restoring it so I have lots of questions to come!

You better learn to look up these parts diagrams.
Go here..
John Deere - Parts Catalog

Search for 420
Select article 1925 for the 420 series lawn and garden tractor, if that is what you have.
Then click on the "Sectional Index". The others will work also but I like the sectional option.
Section 80, and page 91 , might be what you need.
Section 70, and page 78 shows the cylinder.

Play with it and become familiar with all the sections.

/ JD 420 Steering Play
LOL. I am familiar with the jd catalog from 9 years of fixing and maintaining my L130 riding mower. I can repair anything on the l130 with my eyes closed by now.

The problem is I'm new to the 420 and it came to me in rough shape. I've never seen a good operating 420 as a reference point to go from which is the reason for all the questions. This tractor appears to have been subjected to years of jerry rigging and abuse. I'd rather ask questions to make certain before ordering the wrong part.

In fact I looked up the diagram on the jd catalog before posting this thread, but could not tell for certain from the diagram what needs to be replaced. I know the steering slop is coming from 2 places... 1: where the steering arm attaches to the spindle and 2: where the steering cylinder attaches to the steering arm.

I figured someone here might have had the same trouble and would be able to share helpful tips on repairing it.