318 vs. x500 vs. 265 or similar

/ 318 vs. x500 vs. 265 or similar #1  

johndeereg

Tractor
Cub Cadet 107
I've been looking into getting a bigger, stronger tractor that I could use to plow snow, and haul our 15 cu.ft cart with firewood, and possibly mow. Also, I am getting addicted to John Deere lawn and garden tractors haha. I have a 175 Hydro I bought along the road for 600.00 which is a good tractor, and mows very nice. I'm not sure how much it is built for hauling wood around though. It also has very small tires for plowing snow. I bought my Dad an x320 and that is a nice tractor as well.

Now I am looking to buy something for myself that is heavier duty for push/pulling than the 175 Hydro I have. I've been looking into either an older tractor like a 318, or a 265, or maybe even a new one like an x500. I could use the 175 for lawn, or I could just use one tractor and sell that. What's your opinion on the best route to go?

/ 318 vs. x500 vs. 265 or similar #2  
The front axles of the X530 and up are 1 inch diameter. X500 and X520 have 3/4 inch diameter axles. If load is an issue. X500 has lawn tires stock and X530 and up have more aggressive HDAP tires.

/ 318 vs. x500 vs. 265 or similar #3  
I don't know that you can compare a 318 to an X500. I have a 318 and a 2305. I looked at replacing the 318 with an X series and just looking from behind there does not seem to be a comparison with the X500. I think you need to get into the X700 before you get something 318 weight and size. I have done a great deal of plowing with a 318 and it works well. It also mows nicely but I am not as picky as many. It really depends on what you are doing with it. For hauling a cart and mowing the 318 is overkill. Plowing it is marginal with deep N.E. snow but it can do the job.

/ 318 vs. x500 vs. 265 or similar #4  
Don't sell the 175 Hydro short. I bought mine new 25 years ago and it is still going strong as my primary mowing machine. Our property is very hilly. I have also used the tractor to pull heavy loads its entire life. For years I routinely pulled a 500 lb flat trailer as a yard trailer. Can't imagine how heavy it was once loaded with limbs. For the past 5-6 years it's been pulling a JD 17P cart loaded sometimes to the max. I also pull a 900 lb lawn roller. Granted, traction can be an issue as without a diff lock it wants to spin the left-rear tire. But once it hooks up it has no problems pulling it. And... as per the owners manual... the hydro fluid has never been changed and has never used a single drop.