john deere l130 .. blown fuse

/ john deere l130 .. blown fuse #1  

patrick100909

Tractor
john deere l 130
I have a john deere l 130. evey time I pull the pto switch the fuse blows cutting power to the mower shutting it down. I checked it with the mower not on just by turning the key to the on position then pulled the pto switch and the fuse blew . any thoughts.

/ john deere l130 .. blown fuse #2  
I have a john deere l 130. evey time I pull the pto switch the fuse blows cutting power to the mower shutting it down. I checked it with the mower not on just by turning the key to the on position then pulled the pto switch and the fuse blew . any thoughts.

I would say the clutch is bad or the wire to the clutch is shorted.
Disconnect the clutch and see if it still blows when you start the PTO.

With the wires disconnected see how many ohms of resistance the clutch has.

/ john deere l130 .. blown fuse
i will let you know what I find in the next couple of days I am working all weekend... with the wire disconnected from the clutch do I check at the tip of the connection? and how many ohms should it be? what are some other possabilitis it could be that I could try also and I will get back to you what worked or not

/ john deere l130 .. blown fuse #4  
   / john deere l130 .. blown fuse #5  
When my clutch failed on the L130 it rotated and messed the wires up shorting them to ground. The wiring is simple enough to fix and think you are getting good advice above. I installed a new clutch and pto switch a few years ago and have been more careful about its use. The less you use it the better, I idle down to engage the mower then keep it engaged for the duration of mowing the lawn if possible.

got another question before start ripping stuff apart lol ... is it possible for the fuse to blow due to the fact that the belt is off and stuck (not enough tension)

/ john deere l130 .. blown fuse #7  
got another question before start ripping stuff apart lol ... is it possible for the fuse to blow due to the fact that the belt is off and stuck (not enough tension)

I don't see that being a likely scenario.

ok I finally got around to looking at the tractor today.. I checked all the wires out there are no damaged wires.. I took a volt tester to the connection that goes to the PTO clutch and there is power going to it... Whats next? by the way thank you all for the help I appreciate it. I just don't want to be doing anything I really don't have to in order to get it to work again

/ john deere l130 .. blown fuse #9  
Did you measure the resistance on the clutch? I agree with BBO in that this would be the next step.

/ john deere l130 .. blown fuse #10  
There was a problem a few years ago on the L130 where the clutch would short out, and in come cases wouldn't blow the fuse but would fry the pto switch. I would bet on a shorted pto clutch. the other issue was the little finger that prevents the clutch from spinning would wear in two and allow the clutch to spin and either damaging the wires or getting stuck on the steering making steering impossibly.